• 130 Online
  • 22066 Members
  • 24644 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Amend a tax return

Ask a question

Views 39

Replies 1

I recently amended my tax return because when I received the notice of assessment of the original one I realised I made a mistake.

I'm not an Australian resident but during the last financial year I've been a resident for tax purposes for about 6 month and I forgot to write it down.

When I got the debt I have to pay I panicked and I sent an amend. 

Do I have to pay my debt while I'm waiting for the amendment to be processed or do I have to wait the final notice of assessment?

It has been 3 weeks now since I've sent it but it's still processessing. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @Cp92,

Thanks for your question!

I imagine that your debt is future dated for 21 November 2019, since that is the usual date that we allow for income tax return debts. You can view this by navigating to Tax > Accounts > Tax Accounts > Income Tax. This will let you view a statement of account that lists your transaction history.

If your debt does have a future date, then you don't have to organise payment for it yet. You have until the due date of the debt to either pay it in full, organise a payment plan, or finalise your tax return amendment (if this is going to clear the debt.).

You're welcome to pay the debt in full now if you choose, but I would suggest waiting for the amended Notice of Assessment to issue first. If it looks like it's not going to be finalised before the effective date of the debt, then you may wish to look at organising payment until the amendment has been completed.

If your debt is already past the due date (i.e. it relates to a prior year) then you need to organise payment immediately.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @Cp92,

Thanks for your question!

I imagine that your debt is future dated for 21 November 2019, since that is the usual date that we allow for income tax return debts. You can view this by navigating to Tax > Accounts > Tax Accounts > Income Tax. This will let you view a statement of account that lists your transaction history.

If your debt does have a future date, then you don't have to organise payment for it yet. You have until the due date of the debt to either pay it in full, organise a payment plan, or finalise your tax return amendment (if this is going to clear the debt.).

You're welcome to pay the debt in full now if you choose, but I would suggest waiting for the amended Notice of Assessment to issue first. If it looks like it's not going to be finalised before the effective date of the debt, then you may wish to look at organising payment until the amendment has been completed.

If your debt is already past the due date (i.e. it relates to a prior year) then you need to organise payment immediately.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

Top Solution Authors