Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Asking for more information by text message

Highlighted

Views 427

Replies 1

Hi, I lodged my tax return about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I got a text from the ATO saying they needed more information, a case code, number to call, and it ended in “if we don’t hear from you by X date, we’ll change your return based on the information we have.” I have tried to call three times however each time get a message saying that there are long wait times and I should call back later. When I go online to my myGov account, I can’t find any further information into what the ATO might need - my return says “processing - under review”. There is an amount in the ‘credit’ that matches around my estimate, so I’m not sure if this is what it would be changed to, or what the changed amount would be. Just wondering what to do if I continue to not be able to get through on the number provided, or how to get more information about what’s happening other than just a text message? Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @md2019,

Sorry to hear that you've had this experience!

The only way that you will be able to resolve this properly is by calling the number they've given you. I appreciate that it is frustrating when you can't get through, but you will need to keep trying, especially if you've been given a deadline.

Generally speaking, these sorts of situations can arise when something in your tax return doesn't match our pre-fill records, so our data matching team may have stepped in order to understand why. What I would suggest is to check all of the data that is in your return and make sure that it is 100% correct.

All of the pre-fill data may not have been available at the time that you lodged the return, but if it was sent to us after you had lodged this could be why it has triggered this review. There are a number of different things that data matching will look at, so you should focus on checking those items in particular to ensure that nothing has been omitted or keyed incorrectly.

It is also worth following up with your employer or other third parties (such as your bank) and checking that the data that they have sent us matches the data that they have given you. You may find that you have reported payment summaries from 3 employers, but you had 4 during the year.

If you do identify a discrepancy with the data that you have reported, you can lodge an amendment yourself online to correct it. If the discrepancy is with your employer or another party, you need to get them to correct the data that they have sent to us.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @md2019,

Sorry to hear that you've had this experience!

The only way that you will be able to resolve this properly is by calling the number they've given you. I appreciate that it is frustrating when you can't get through, but you will need to keep trying, especially if you've been given a deadline.

Generally speaking, these sorts of situations can arise when something in your tax return doesn't match our pre-fill records, so our data matching team may have stepped in order to understand why. What I would suggest is to check all of the data that is in your return and make sure that it is 100% correct.

All of the pre-fill data may not have been available at the time that you lodged the return, but if it was sent to us after you had lodged this could be why it has triggered this review. There are a number of different things that data matching will look at, so you should focus on checking those items in particular to ensure that nothing has been omitted or keyed incorrectly.

It is also worth following up with your employer or other third parties (such as your bank) and checking that the data that they have sent us matches the data that they have given you. You may find that you have reported payment summaries from 3 employers, but you had 4 during the year.

If you do identify a discrepancy with the data that you have reported, you can lodge an amendment yourself online to correct it. If the discrepancy is with your employer or another party, you need to get them to correct the data that they have sent to us.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Thanks,

Rachael B.