ATO Community

COVID-19 Work from Home Claim

Views 749

Replies 5

Hi, 

I currently am working on my tax return, and I need to include a work from home expense (as I work from home for a portion of my time). 

Woudl it be better, as there is two different rates (Pre-Covid/Covid) to create two seperate l line on my tax return for

• 1/Jul-29/Feb 
  • 1/Mar-31/Jul

or would it be better to consolidate into a single line?

Regards,

Chris 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @cbradley 

You can use the method or methods that will give you the best outcome as long as you meet the working criteria and record keeping requirements for each method.

If you had a work from home arrangement before 1 March 2020, you will need to use one of the existing methods (fixed rate or actual cost)  to calculate your deduction for the period 1 July 2019 to 29 February 2020

Thanks, Ari

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @cbradley 

You can use the method or methods that will give you the best outcome as long as you meet the working criteria and record keeping requirements for each method.

If you had a work from home arrangement before 1 March 2020, you will need to use one of the existing methods (fixed rate or actual cost)  to calculate your deduction for the period 1 July 2019 to 29 February 2020

Thanks, Ari

Replies 1

Hi Ari, 

Thanks, my questions was not around applicaility but more around documenting in the other-deductions area on e-tax

I have decided to break it down, as its help keep it clearer and the net effect is the same. 

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @cbradley 

The label for Other work related deductions in myTax allows for a description with the total claimed. Really its all we require. If we needed to query it further with you then you can detail how you arrived at the outcome with the records you have. It offers a good link there too for Home Office Expenses should you need it.

Devotee

Replies 1

@NateATO   your attention may be required here ..

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@cbradley 

Be aware of the effect that the 80 cents per hour will have on any depreciating assets.

They will basically stop from the date you start to claim 80 cents per hour.

Plus no mobile phone, internet, consumables, etc.