Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Centrelink Debt ON HOLD

Highlighted

Views 2131

Replies 2

Hey!

I have a current centrelink debt for overpayment. The debt is currently being investigated as the debt was only raised due to a centrelink administrative error. The last advice I received was that the investigator could see the error was on centrelinks behalf and I am now awaiting someone higher to overturn the debt (although the tell me this could take some time) - so at the moment collection is on hold.

If I submit my tax return now whilst the debt is under investigation, will my return be automatically taken to recover the debt, even if the debt collection is on hold? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @TA302327 

Yes, it's likely that the debt will be taken if you lodge your return - it can be returned to you if found to be in error, but that's more time and being on the phone.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @TA302327 

Yes, it's likely that the debt will be taken if you lodge your return - it can be returned to you if found to be in error, but that's more time and being on the phone.

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @TA302327,

Thanks for your question.

This would be a question that you would need to ask Centrelink, as they are the ones that have the debt.

Thanks

KylieS