ATO Community

Changing visa-tax

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 35

Replies 1

Hi,

I used to be in a WHV, but since 2019 February I am on a bridging visa for a partner visa. But finished working in the end of February for that financial year.
My tax application said that I can claim tax free threshold as being a resident for tax purposes. But it didn't come back as that.

Yes I paid 15% as I didn't know any other way and so didn't also companies accountant. But considering tax free threshold I still paid decent amount extra. And now I have researched everything, that since I always had an intent to stay on Australia permanently, then I was already a tax resident before getting my bridging visa.

So my wish/question is. What is the best way I can correct my information or their understanding, so I would be eligible for that tax free threshold?

Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Cheryyl,

Welcome to our Community!

Check out our answer we've provided on a similar post about Change of visa during same financial year - Tax rates TBC for more information.

If you're return has be lodged and processed yet you feel you made a mistake or left information out, you can lodge an amendment to include the correct information.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Cheryyl,

Welcome to our Community!

Check out our answer we've provided on a similar post about Change of visa during same financial year - Tax rates TBC for more information.

If you're return has be lodged and processed yet you feel you made a mistake or left information out, you can lodge an amendment to include the correct information.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors