ATO Community

Re: Claiming course fee as a deduction on a failed course

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 158

Replies 2

During the 18/19 financial year I had completed a Chartered Accountancy course with an upfront fee of approx $1.4k. Unfortunately I had failed the course, meaning my work would not reimburse as per normal (which would happen if I had passed).

My course I completed meets the requirements of a self education deduction i.e. it has sufficient connection to my current employment (I work as an accountant), and leads to a formal qualification. It also assists in improving knowledge required in my job, and once I have completed the CA program, will likely result in an increase in income from work.

Even though I failed (the course was very difficult), I believe it still benefited my employment.

Can I claim the course fee as a deduction on my 18/19 tax return even though I had failed?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Rego1212,

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is correct, to be able to claim self-education expenses as a deduction, you needed to have incurred the expense yourself (and weren't reimbursed), it directlyl relates to earing your income and you have records to prove it, not whether you passed the course or not. You can find more information about claiming self-education expenses on our website.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Self-education costs are deductable whether you pass or fail the course, you still incurred the cost

Surprised you didn't know Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Rego1212,

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is correct, to be able to claim self-education expenses as a deduction, you needed to have incurred the expense yourself (and weren't reimbursed), it directlyl relates to earing your income and you have records to prove it, not whether you passed the course or not. You can find more information about claiming self-education expenses on our website.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors