Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Claiming tax on compassionate release of super

I'm new

Views 499

Replies 1

I had surgery early this year in which I paid most of the costs using my super. I was taxed on the super that was released early, and I need to find out how to claim this on my tax return. Is there a specific section which I need to pay attention to when I am filling out my tax return and am I correct in assuming I will receive tax back from this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

@Sjpyou will find that it will be automatically filled in on your income tax return when you do it through your mygov account. The only reason you would get any tax is in the unlikely situaton that the super fund over taxed you.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/In-detail/Withdrawing-and-using-your-super/Early-access-on-...

The super you withdraw is paid and taxed as a normal super lump sum. The tax rate depends upon various factors including age and the components of the super lump sum. Your provider will automatically deduct the tax from your super account. Refer to Super lump sum tax table for further information.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

@Sjpyou will find that it will be automatically filled in on your income tax return when you do it through your mygov account. The only reason you would get any tax is in the unlikely situaton that the super fund over taxed you.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/In-detail/Withdrawing-and-using-your-super/Early-access-on-...

The super you withdraw is paid and taxed as a normal super lump sum. The tax rate depends upon various factors including age and the components of the super lump sum. Your provider will automatically deduct the tax from your super account. Refer to Super lump sum tax table for further information.