Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Deducting a portion of cost of internet without knowing cost of internet

Initiate

Views 1747

Replies 6

Hi,

I am looking to amend a tax return for 2017-2018 and note that for a portion of the year I stayed in a flatshare where I paid a global figure for rent and bills to the landlord. I did not know what the internet charge was as everything was bundled in.

How am I able to make a deduction for this? Is there a reasonable cost of internet a month?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Tom26781,

Welcome to our Community!

There is no reasonable cost for internet per month. If you had a joint internet plan which was used for both personal and work-related purposes you'll need to apportion the amount of internet usage you used for work purposes.

You can identify your work-related amount over a four week period during the income year, by:

• the amount of data downloaded for work as a percentage of the total data downloaded by all members of your household,
  • any additional costs incurred as a result of your work-related use – eg if your work-related use results in you exceeding your monthly data cap.

You may be able to contact your provided and request a more detailed bill so you can calculate your deduction for work-related internet expenses more accurately. You can find more information including examples about claiming mobile plans, internet and home phone expenses on our website.

If you do make an amendment to your tax return, you will need to have records and be able to explain how you came to the calculation to prove your claim if we request further information.

Thanks, JodieH.

6 REPLIES 6

I'm new

Replies 3

Too hard to work out.  If you shared with 3 others, who used what. Do you even know the monthly data plan rate.

Initiate

Replies 2

Surely you would do the reasonable monthly rate for internet, divide it by 3 and then take out the portion that was work related?

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Tom26781,

Welcome to our Community!

There is no reasonable cost for internet per month. If you had a joint internet plan which was used for both personal and work-related purposes you'll need to apportion the amount of internet usage you used for work purposes.

You can identify your work-related amount over a four week period during the income year, by:

• the amount of data downloaded for work as a percentage of the total data downloaded by all members of your household,
  • any additional costs incurred as a result of your work-related use – eg if your work-related use results in you exceeding your monthly data cap.

You may be able to contact your provided and request a more detailed bill so you can calculate your deduction for work-related internet expenses more accurately. You can find more information including examples about claiming mobile plans, internet and home phone expenses on our website.

If you do make an amendment to your tax return, you will need to have records and be able to explain how you came to the calculation to prove your claim if we request further information.

Thanks, JodieH.

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi JodieH, if I am unable to access records about costs for the internet (I am no longer in contact with previous landlord) how would I be able to obtain a price from which to apportion an amount of work internet usage?

Devotee

Replies 1

You would need to figure out what portion of the general amount you paid was for internet. Perhaps talk to the person who had the internet bill in their name to ask how your portion was figured out? 

You then need to reduce this by how much internet you used for personal use (for example if you used it half the time for yourself, you need to reduce the deduction by half). 

You need records and and receipts to substantiate deductions. Seems like this might be hard to calculate and prove.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback