Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

Deducting the Cost of Working With Children Check

Views 99

Replies 1

Hello there,

I understand that a new employee can claim a deduction for a Working with Children Check (WWCC) if he/she has recent employment income from continuous employment in a child-related field.

In 2020, I commenced work on a self-employed basis in a child-related field. For this I had to obtain a new WWCC (not just a renewal) because my previous one had expired. I had previously engaged in child-related employment approximately a year earlier in 2019, during which my old WWCC was still valid. Would my previous employment, which lasted from 2017-19 be considered "recent" enough to enable me to deduct my 2020 WWCC?

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ChrisS1,

To be eligible to claim the WWCC you need to be continuously working in the child-related field. So leaving one employment and starting another in a child-related industry would qualify you to claim for a deduction.

If you were employed in a different field i.e. not child-related in-between your employment mentioned, then you could not claim for the WWCC.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ChrisS1,

To be eligible to claim the WWCC you need to be continuously working in the child-related field. So leaving one employment and starting another in a child-related industry would qualify you to claim for a deduction.

If you were employed in a different field i.e. not child-related in-between your employment mentioned, then you could not claim for the WWCC.