Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Employer not paying tax or superannuation and not providing payslips

Views 568

Replies 3

Hi there,

Was wanting some advice!

My previous dentist employer was not providing payslips, not paying award rates, not providing superannuation, and often not deducting correct tax from my pay for 4 years. This was happening to a lot of my colleagues also.

They also failed to provide me with a PayG for the 2019-2020 financial year.

As my previous employer began to backpay me the owing minimum wage (after I got in touch with Fair Work) they then emailed asking me to refund $30 to them for them to forward to the ATO because they were not withholding tax on my income in the previous 2019-2020 financial year (where I only worked 1 shift).

I was wondering how I go about this? For example how do I know they will forward that money to the ATO and send me a record doing so - seeing as they have never provided me payslips or a payment summary for 2019-2020 financial year? Just feeling quite taken advantaged of and confused by it all.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Confusedkoala

It is your employer's responsibility to pay you correctly and withhold the relevant amount of tax. Most payment summaries are now included on your MyGov account under income statements. There is no specific way we can confirm if your employer has paid the tax as you would not have access to their business account. The only way to see if they've paid this is to have a look at your income statement in MyGov.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Confusedkoala

It is your employer's responsibility to pay you correctly and withhold the relevant amount of tax. Most payment summaries are now included on your MyGov account under income statements. There is no specific way we can confirm if your employer has paid the tax as you would not have access to their business account. The only way to see if they've paid this is to have a look at your income statement in MyGov.

Replies 1

Thanks Lisa for your reply.
I checked my income statements again in my MyGov account and the employer had not uploaded anything for the 2019-2020 financial year.
How do I get them to do this?
Thanks

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Confusedkoala,

In general it would be best to speak to your pay-roll area, but if you have no luck there, there's some information in this thread where we have answered someone who had a similar question. Let us know how things go!