Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: FAST FOOD DELIVERY DRIVER EMPLOYEE (UBER EATS)

Views 587

Replies 2

Hello, I have a Work & Holiday Visa and I have been working with an ABN number as a food delivery driver with UBER EATS. I am concerned that I may have to pay my taxes as an employee. My question is what should I do to lodge my taxes and deductions. Do you have a link or video tutorial that I can follow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Fbnrdrgz 

Any income you receive through the sharing economy (such as Uber Eats) is assessable income and needs to be declared in your income tax return. If your projected GST turnover is less than $75,000 a year, you don't have to be registered for GST.

You need to report all income you've received under your ABN, as this is considered assessable income. Find information about what to include in your assessable income here. As no tax is withheld from payments made to you, you may wish to enter into the Pay as you go (PAYG) instalment system, where you can make regular payments towards your expected end of year tax liability.

You may be able to claim deductions for expenses  you've incurred while being a Uber eats driver. To claim a deduction:

• you must have spent the money and not been reimbursed
  • the costs must relate to doing your job and can't be a private expense (such as travel from home to the job)
  • work out how much of the total expense is for your business and how much for personal use
  • you must keep appropriate records to prove your claim.

When you lodge your tax return we'll calculate how much tax you're required to pay based on the total income you've reported (from all sources) and what deductions and offsets you've claimed. Once your tax return is finalised, you'll receive a Notice of Assessment (NOA) which will advise your taxable income, how much tax you're required to pay and how much tax credits you have had applied to your account, any tax offsets and rebates. If you haven't had enough tax credits withheld during the year, you may end up with a bill to pay. You contact us if you need help repaying your debt.

If you have further queries, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8 am - 6 pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Hope that helps,

HaydB

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Fbnrdrgz 

Any income you receive through the sharing economy (such as Uber Eats) is assessable income and needs to be declared in your income tax return. If your projected GST turnover is less than $75,000 a year, you don't have to be registered for GST.

You need to report all income you've received under your ABN, as this is considered assessable income. Find information about what to include in your assessable income here. As no tax is withheld from payments made to you, you may wish to enter into the Pay as you go (PAYG) instalment system, where you can make regular payments towards your expected end of year tax liability.

You may be able to claim deductions for expenses  you've incurred while being a Uber eats driver. To claim a deduction:

• you must have spent the money and not been reimbursed
  • the costs must relate to doing your job and can't be a private expense (such as travel from home to the job)
  • work out how much of the total expense is for your business and how much for personal use
  • you must keep appropriate records to prove your claim.

When you lodge your tax return we'll calculate how much tax you're required to pay based on the total income you've reported (from all sources) and what deductions and offsets you've claimed. Once your tax return is finalised, you'll receive a Notice of Assessment (NOA) which will advise your taxable income, how much tax you're required to pay and how much tax credits you have had applied to your account, any tax offsets and rebates. If you haven't had enough tax credits withheld during the year, you may end up with a bill to pay. You contact us if you need help repaying your debt.

If you have further queries, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8 am - 6 pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Hope that helps,

HaydB

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Fbnrdrgz 

You can find information of the sharing ecconomy here.

There is also videos you can watch on ATOTV , which you can watch by clicking here

PBlizz