ATO Community

Re: False Details on 2018-2019 Payment Summary

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 136

Replies 1

Hi there,

I have a problem with my payment summary, as it shows false figures relating to my earnings. I am a casual staff member and my hours fluctuate. My employer has done quite a few unethical and suspicious things in the past which led me to check my payment summary thoroughly.

I have noticed that my employer has quoted false figures on my payment summary, stating that I was paid less and was taxed less than in reality for the past financial year. I know these figures are false because they are different from the figures on my payslips. There is a very low likelihood that my employer will rectify the situation as there are problems with his accountant. There is no accountant, he does all the pays himself. This is common knowledge and has been shared by management to staff.

What are the implications of this for me? And what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Jesse

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JesseLee01,

Welcome to our Community and thanks for your question.

Generally speaking, you should only declare the income that you were actually paid. If your payment summary is incorrect you should contact the administrator who issued the payment summary to you, notify them that it is incorrect and ask them to correct their records. We use information sent to us from your employer in our prefilling service to automatically load payment summary and other information into your myTax return. We also use this information for data matching against what you declare in your tax return and we may contact you if these amounts are different.

If you are unable to obtain accurate information from your employer, you will need to estimate your income and the amount withheld. To do this you can use records such as pay slips or bank statements showing the deposits of wages into your bank account.

For assistance with estimating your income you can refer to our gross pay estimator. This will give you an estimate of your gross pay based on your net pay for a particular pay period, either weekly, fortnightly or monthly and will allow you to estimate how much PAYG withholding to declare as well.

If you wish to receive tailored information relating to your specific circumstances, you can write in and request a private ruling. Private rulings are free services we provide as we aim to respond within 28 days of receiving your request.

You can let us know anonymously if you suspect your employer of any fraudulent activity. There is information on our website to report unpaid super from my employer, or to report other fraudulent activities. If you think you are not being paid fairly or correctly you can contact the Fair Work Ombudsman.

I hope this helps you, SueO

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JesseLee01,

Welcome to our Community and thanks for your question.

Generally speaking, you should only declare the income that you were actually paid. If your payment summary is incorrect you should contact the administrator who issued the payment summary to you, notify them that it is incorrect and ask them to correct their records. We use information sent to us from your employer in our prefilling service to automatically load payment summary and other information into your myTax return. We also use this information for data matching against what you declare in your tax return and we may contact you if these amounts are different.

If you are unable to obtain accurate information from your employer, you will need to estimate your income and the amount withheld. To do this you can use records such as pay slips or bank statements showing the deposits of wages into your bank account.

For assistance with estimating your income you can refer to our gross pay estimator. This will give you an estimate of your gross pay based on your net pay for a particular pay period, either weekly, fortnightly or monthly and will allow you to estimate how much PAYG withholding to declare as well.

If you wish to receive tailored information relating to your specific circumstances, you can write in and request a private ruling. Private rulings are free services we provide as we aim to respond within 28 days of receiving your request.

You can let us know anonymously if you suspect your employer of any fraudulent activity. There is information on our website to report unpaid super from my employer, or to report other fraudulent activities. If you think you are not being paid fairly or correctly you can contact the Fair Work Ombudsman.

I hope this helps you, SueO

Top Solution Authors