Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Flights for work

Highlighted

Views 168

Replies 4

I work for a large mining company. Under their new business models they do not pay flights because they do not class it as a FIFO position even though 90% of employees FIFO, they claim our point of hire is the airport we land into but the only address on my contract is my home address. I have two different Scenario I would like to ask in regards to what I may be eligible to claim.
1. Pre covid I was flying on commercial airlines and towards the end was salary sacrificing these flights through the business.
2. The start of Covid lockdowns we received an email stating we all “MUST” catch the companies charter flights to and from work paying a fare.
Can I claim these flights as on my contract the only stated point of hire is my address in the capital city and I have evidence that I “must” catch the charter flights.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Master

Replies 2

@KenMc you cannot claim these flights in either scenario.You can only claim flights if you are travelling FOR work. In your case your are travelling TOO work. The same way a person gets the bus to work you take a fight. If you live in Perth and go to Sydney for a couple of days for work then you can claim those flights. Hope this helps

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Replies 0

Highlighted

Best answer

Master

Replies 2

@KenMc you cannot claim these flights in either scenario.You can only claim flights if you are travelling FOR work. In your case your are travelling TOO work. The same way a person gets the bus to work you take a fight. If you live in Perth and go to Sydney for a couple of days for work then you can claim those flights. Hope this helps

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thanks for taking the time to respond. A few of our colleagues have consulted with their accountants and they have all been told we will be able to claim on tax due to technical error on our contracts and wording from our company. We are all on individual contracts, not considered to be fifo workers, most employees would have their mine listed as their point of hire but due to my site not being announced prior to my start date they could not put that on my contract so my point of hire is intact my capital city location. Because I have been told I “must” catch the charter flight provided for the company I am travelling “for work”. Basically I would love to here the ATO’s opinion of this
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @KenMc 

Thanks for your post.

Based on what you have said about the unique wording of your employment contract, you may find Applying for a private ruling is best given your circumstances.

Unfortunately, we can’t give tailored advice here on ATO Community for your circumstances, we can just give general advice and point you to the information on ato.gov.au

Here is some information on Mining site employees - income and work-related deductions you may find helpful.

Thanks

JoA