Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: How do I pay my debt?

Initiate

Views 618

Replies 3

Hi ATO Community,

I was hoping someone would be able to give me an actual answer as opposed to tell me to go and look at another thread.  I have looked at other threads and no ione has asked the question I have.

I lodged my tax return in early July which was issued and I recieved a NOA, I then amended it and recieved on the same day a NOA saying I had a debt issued which I need to pay by November 2020.  I then reamended that and it currently is at the processing stage.

My issue isn't the debt, however can someone please tell me whether regardless of the third amendment outcome whether I will still have the debt?  In which case will the money be sent to my bank account for me to basically send back the money for the debt?  I don't have access to the money that the debt is.  Plus why would I have to pay a debt when I haven't been sent any money?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Initiate

Replies 0

Thank you so much @TraceyATO - You have been very helpful!

3 REPLIES 3

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Lee_85 

As you requested, here is the long answer.

When you lodge either an original income tax return or an amendment we will process it and then send you a Notice of Assessment (NOA). The NOA will have the figures used and at the end will either give a final figure, or will ask you to refer to the statement of account for the final figure. If you receive your NOA in the mail the statement of account would be included in the envelope, or when using myGov it will be online.

When you are online on myGov you can also view your most up-to-date statement of account by going to the TAB at the top which says TAX, then accounts, then tax accounts, then click that and a new page will appear; for your income tax account click the blue area income tax account (ie some people may also have an activity statement account to also choose from).

You will then see in that Income tax account your tax return amounts, amendment amounts, payments due, payments coming in, refunds due to go out etc. All of these have an effect on each other, giving a running balance. Each have what we call an effective date, which is the date something happens or is expected to happen in the future. If the effective date is a future date though, it can always be subject to change if something else happens in the account.

So, if you have received a NOA with an effective date for a payment due in November, this result may be changed by your lodgment of your amendment(s). These may require some processing time before you know the final result, and as you have said you re-amended, then once again wait some further processing time; keep checking your statement of account. Your final debt or refund figure will be the combination of all three (and other years, general interest charges etc) and as November is some time away, they should all be processed by that time. You will receive notification from us as well after all are processed if there is an amount will be asking you to pay or expect to refund you.

For further information about the progress of your return, go to the thread Tax Time - 2020.

I hope answers your question in full.

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi Tracey, 

I'm not sure whether you replied or not as I can only see "Hi @Lee_85"

LOL.

Thanks,

Lee 

Most helpful response

Initiate

Replies 0

Thank you so much @TraceyATO - You have been very helpful!