Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

I've never lodged a tax return before - what do I need to do?

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 3092

Replies 1

Hi! I'm a uni student and I work part-time - I've never lodged a tax return before, so I'm not sure when I need to lodge or what I need to do. Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Guest contributor

Replies 0

Hi GoWithIt,

Thanks for your question! There are lots of reasons why you might need to lodge a tax return - use our online Do I need to lodge? tool to work it out.

If you don't need to lodge a tax return, you should let us know so we don’t send you unnecessary reminders. You can tell us by completing a non-lodgment advice using our online services or by sending us a paper non-lodgment advice form.

If you do need to lodge you can do this using myTax - our quick, easy, safe and secure way to lodge online using your computer, smartphone or tablet. It pre-fills information provided to us by your employer, banks, and other government agencies (most of which is generally available by mid-August).

Once you’ve created a myGov account, you’ll need to link your account to our online services – check out our guide to linking your ATO account for step-by-step instructions.

You can also find information to help you work out what income you need to report and what deductions you may be able to claim so you can get it right the first time.

You may choose to lodge your return through a registered tax practitioner – find registered agents in your area by searching the register on the Tax Practitioner Board website.

Hope that helps.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Guest contributor

Replies 0

Hi GoWithIt,

Thanks for your question! There are lots of reasons why you might need to lodge a tax return - use our online Do I need to lodge? tool to work it out.

If you don't need to lodge a tax return, you should let us know so we don’t send you unnecessary reminders. You can tell us by completing a non-lodgment advice using our online services or by sending us a paper non-lodgment advice form.

If you do need to lodge you can do this using myTax - our quick, easy, safe and secure way to lodge online using your computer, smartphone or tablet. It pre-fills information provided to us by your employer, banks, and other government agencies (most of which is generally available by mid-August).

Once you’ve created a myGov account, you’ll need to link your account to our online services – check out our guide to linking your ATO account for step-by-step instructions.

You can also find information to help you work out what income you need to report and what deductions you may be able to claim so you can get it right the first time.

You may choose to lodge your return through a registered tax practitioner – find registered agents in your area by searching the register on the Tax Practitioner Board website.

Hope that helps.