Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Re: Income statement on MyTax for employer I’ve not worked for

Highlighted

Views 97

Replies 4

I am trying to do my FY20 Tax Return via My Gov ATO online however there is an Income Statement from an employer I have never worked for and is in no way related to my employer. I have called the ATO 5 times over the last month and each time have been on the call for at least an hour, only to be told someone will look into it and call me back and no-one does.

I want to submit my tax return but have been told to hold off doing so until the ATO “unlinks” the incorrect/fraudulent income statement from my profile. This has not occurred after 1 month and 5 phone calls. I called the incorrect employer listed and they were not helpful at all so I suspect this may be fraudulent. I’ve spoken to the ATO team that takes fraud calls but still no luck getting an outcome.

How can I escalate this matter so I can lodge my tax return correctly? I’m concerned the ATO system will just automatically add back in this incorrect Income Statement.

Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @TRINA1847,

I understand this is definitely not a fun time for you, as it's never good to have a random amount/employer prefill automatically on your return as you're completing it. 

I understand also that you're keen to lodge your return. 

You can technically lodge your return like what @StefanATO mentioned, after manually correcting the incorrect figures. This may however trigger an automatic amendment from our end and which could result in a temporary debt depending on the effect that rogue payment summary has on the outcome, which is probably why you've been advised against it by others.

So I would suggest not to follow this route without also lodging an objection as well, to object to any debt that may occur, as well as requesting a payment extension/arrangement to put the debt on hold until things are sorted out. 

The other route is calling us up so we can access your account and escalate the issue internally. Unfortunately we can't do this from the Community, and I know you've already called us at least 5 times about this. It's likely that the activity is still progressing, and it may take a while to get where we want it. You can, however, ask them what the service standard is and it may be made a higher priority if the wait time has extended outside of that. 

That's all I have at this stage. Let us know how you go. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@TRINA1847 @StefanATO 

Hopefully, the ATO does not add this back on!

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi thanks for reply but you misunderstood. I don’t need to refer to my payslip for correct information. My income statement from my employer is correct. The issue is there is an additional income statement on MyTax from another employer who I have never worked for - and it is included as pre-filled! It is likely due to identify theft.
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @TRINA1847,

I understand this is definitely not a fun time for you, as it's never good to have a random amount/employer prefill automatically on your return as you're completing it. 

I understand also that you're keen to lodge your return. 

You can technically lodge your return like what @StefanATO mentioned, after manually correcting the incorrect figures. This may however trigger an automatic amendment from our end and which could result in a temporary debt depending on the effect that rogue payment summary has on the outcome, which is probably why you've been advised against it by others.

So I would suggest not to follow this route without also lodging an objection as well, to object to any debt that may occur, as well as requesting a payment extension/arrangement to put the debt on hold until things are sorted out. 

The other route is calling us up so we can access your account and escalate the issue internally. Unfortunately we can't do this from the Community, and I know you've already called us at least 5 times about this. It's likely that the activity is still progressing, and it may take a while to get where we want it. You can, however, ask them what the service standard is and it may be made a higher priority if the wait time has extended outside of that. 

That's all I have at this stage. Let us know how you go. 

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @TRINA1847,

Thanks for pointing that out. I have removed the response you're replying to to avoid confusion for other readers.