Announcements
COVID-19 update: We expect to publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For other questions, check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Income tax 551 after tax refund

Highlighted

Views 193

Replies 1

Hi,

I got a tax return paid out by very soon after I have an income tax 551 listed in myGov as a tax obligation, and I have no idea what this is - seeing it for the first time. When you click on it, it doesn't explain what it is, just asks you to pay.

Also, I never got a notification for it and if I hadn't logged in I would never have seen it. It all looks very unsual - is it possible my account has been hacked??

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Soz,

Thanks for your question!

Sometimes your return may be amended by us as part of our Data Matching process. If this has occurred you should have received a notification, but this can depend on your myGov notification preferences as well. myGov will only ever send you one notification at a time, even if you have several inbox messages received that day.

You should review all aspects of your account to determine what has actually occurred. 

In order to view your transaction details in ATO Online Services, you can navigate to Tax > Accounts > Tax Accounts > Income Tax 551. This will show you a list of all of the credits and debits applied to your account, and should give you a rough idea where the amount has come from. If an amendment has been done, it will tell you whether it was "ATO initiated" or "Client initiated".

You should also view your income tax lodgement history by navigating to Tax > Lodgements > Income Tax > History. This will allow you to review the details of your original return and any amendment that has been made, so you can see what has been changed. 

From this screen, there should also be a link to view the Notice of Assessment. The Notice of Assessment for an amendment usually has a small paragraph on the second or third page that will explain the changes that have been made.

I hope this has been helpful, but if you still have general questions about your account, please let me know.

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Soz,

Thanks for your question!

Sometimes your return may be amended by us as part of our Data Matching process. If this has occurred you should have received a notification, but this can depend on your myGov notification preferences as well. myGov will only ever send you one notification at a time, even if you have several inbox messages received that day.

You should review all aspects of your account to determine what has actually occurred. 

In order to view your transaction details in ATO Online Services, you can navigate to Tax > Accounts > Tax Accounts > Income Tax 551. This will show you a list of all of the credits and debits applied to your account, and should give you a rough idea where the amount has come from. If an amendment has been done, it will tell you whether it was "ATO initiated" or "Client initiated".

You should also view your income tax lodgement history by navigating to Tax > Lodgements > Income Tax > History. This will allow you to review the details of your original return and any amendment that has been made, so you can see what has been changed. 

From this screen, there should also be a link to view the Notice of Assessment. The Notice of Assessment for an amendment usually has a small paragraph on the second or third page that will explain the changes that have been made.

I hope this has been helpful, but if you still have general questions about your account, please let me know.

Rachael B.