Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Invested in shares in 2019-20, but got no dividends from it. Do I need to report it to the ATO?

Views 485

Replies 1

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to taxes and share trading. So, I bought some shares a couple months ago just to test the stock market out. I haven't sold them, I've just been holding onto them. I also haven't received any money from it (e.g. dividends). So, I'm not too sure if I need to report this. If I do, can someone direct me to where I need to go? 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Nothing to declare if no dividends received - simply keep records of transactions as will be required for capital gains calculations if selling at later point

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Nothing to declare if no dividends received - simply keep records of transactions as will be required for capital gains calculations if selling at later point