ATO Community

Issue with refund payment <Bank account closed in the middle of the process.

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 38

Replies 1

Hello

My name is Nicole Carcuro and I am writing from Chile.

I spent some time in Australia last year with an student visa, and after leaving I kept my bank account open in order to make my online tax return from overseas without issues and without a tax agent.

I started the process not noticing my bank account was closed and I sent my tax refund there. After some long time withouth any notification or similar of the payment, I entered to my bank (commonwealth) and then noticed the problem, and, eventhough the lodged tax process says issued, refund $xx, I tried to ammend it because actually I haven't received that money yet, so I changed the bank details ((I added a bank account from an acquaintance ), but I don't know if this will be review, if maybe there is some sort of "limbo" to get that money from, or how can I get it back eventually.

Do you know how can I do this from overseas withouth involving a tax agent? or an email maybe I can contact to??

I was really waiting for that money that it was part of my hard and legal work back in Australia.

Please your help!

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @NicoleCarcuro

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of your frustration. It is annoying when your awaiting a refund.

Unfortunately overseas clients need to maintain a Financial Institute Account (FIA) in Australia to receive a refund electronically. Our processes will not allow us to electronically transfer to another individual not legally associated to you.  So if you do not have access to an Australian FIA in your name, the refund will issue via cheque. See Missing refunds.

If your details in myGov have the correct overseas address on it prior to it being re-issued as a cheque that should see you get the  cheque. Later if you have trouble banking the cheque in your own country be aware sometimes international financial institutions require ATO cheques to be 'endorsed' before they will deposit the payment into a person's bank account. Cheques may be 'endorsed' by having the payee sign the cheque at the place marked 'Payee's signature'. The 'payee' is the client.  Also in some countries a bank may require the cheque name (as you originally provided when requesting your TFN) should be exactly the same as your overseas FIA details.

If I was you I would be looking to see if myGov shows your refund as re-issuing to a cheque and whether your myGov details show the correct address was present at the time of re-issue. If any of these things are not so then a call to us from overseas will probably be the best way to get it sorted. See Phone Us

I hope this helps.

Warm greetings to Chile.
Regards
MarkA

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @NicoleCarcuro

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of your frustration. It is annoying when your awaiting a refund.

Unfortunately overseas clients need to maintain a Financial Institute Account (FIA) in Australia to receive a refund electronically. Our processes will not allow us to electronically transfer to another individual not legally associated to you.  So if you do not have access to an Australian FIA in your name, the refund will issue via cheque. See Missing refunds.

If your details in myGov have the correct overseas address on it prior to it being re-issued as a cheque that should see you get the  cheque. Later if you have trouble banking the cheque in your own country be aware sometimes international financial institutions require ATO cheques to be 'endorsed' before they will deposit the payment into a person's bank account. Cheques may be 'endorsed' by having the payee sign the cheque at the place marked 'Payee's signature'. The 'payee' is the client.  Also in some countries a bank may require the cheque name (as you originally provided when requesting your TFN) should be exactly the same as your overseas FIA details.

If I was you I would be looking to see if myGov shows your refund as re-issuing to a cheque and whether your myGov details show the correct address was present at the time of re-issue. If any of these things are not so then a call to us from overseas will probably be the best way to get it sorted. See Phone Us

I hope this helps.

Warm greetings to Chile.
Regards
MarkA

Top Solution Authors