Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Lodging tax returns from overseas

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 50

Replies 1

Hello,

I will be permanently moving back overseas and am wondering if I can lodge my July 2020-June 2021 tax return online through the myGov website while overseas. I have lodged my tax returns for previous years while in Australia. Usually the myGov site asks for a verification code (sent to an Australian mobile) in order to enter the site but can this be done overseas? If so, will I be able to lodge my tax return online come July 2021? Or will it be better to lodge my tax return early via paper copy? Any help would be great!

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @student000111

If you're eligible you can lodge an early tax return before you leave or you can lodge via Mygov at the end of the financial year when you're overseas. You will need to turn off the mobile phone security code feature before you leave the country unless you'll have an active Australian mobile number that you can access whilst you're abroad. See travelling overseas and accessing MyGov for more information.

If the outcome is a refund we can only pay electronically into an Australian bank account belonging to you otherwise we will issue you a cheque to your postal address.

Thanks, Ari

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @student000111

If you're eligible you can lodge an early tax return before you leave or you can lodge via Mygov at the end of the financial year when you're overseas. You will need to turn off the mobile phone security code feature before you leave the country unless you'll have an active Australian mobile number that you can access whilst you're abroad. See travelling overseas and accessing MyGov for more information.

If the outcome is a refund we can only pay electronically into an Australian bank account belonging to you otherwise we will issue you a cheque to your postal address.

Thanks, Ari