ATO Community

Re: Medical reports ( Income Protection)

Ask a question

Views 141

Replies 5

Hi can I claim medical report costs as deductions while on income protection. I need to supply reports constantly at my cost and they mount up. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Replies 1

Hi @Casper,

Thanks for your patience while our technical experts looked into this.

They've advised you're entitled to claim deductions where you're declaring your income protection payments as income and you're required to fulfil certain requirements under your income protection insurance policy (namely to obtain medical reports/certificates to continue receiving payments from your income protection insurance policy). 

Therefore, the expenses incurred in obtaining the medical reports for the purpose of retaining continued income protection payments are deductible.

Thanks, NicM.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @Casper,

Thanks for your question.

Whether you can claim deductions against your income protection insurance depends on the policy you have. You can find more information on what you can and can't claim on our website.

If you can claim deductions, the cost of premiums you pay for insurance against the loss of your income are deductible. You must include any payment you receive under such a policy on your tax return.

Thanks,
EmilyW

Replies 3

Thanks for the info, I can’t claim the premiums as it’s through my super, but my question was can I claim doctors reports that I need to provide to get income protection. These reports are at my cost, no reports no income protection. Any help would be great please. Thanks

Replies 0

Hi @Casper,

Thanks for posting.

We've asked our technical experts to check into this and we'll be back in touch as soon as possible.

Thanks, NicM.

Best answer

Replies 1

Hi @Casper,

Thanks for your patience while our technical experts looked into this.

They've advised you're entitled to claim deductions where you're declaring your income protection payments as income and you're required to fulfil certain requirements under your income protection insurance policy (namely to obtain medical reports/certificates to continue receiving payments from your income protection insurance policy). 

Therefore, the expenses incurred in obtaining the medical reports for the purpose of retaining continued income protection payments are deductible.

Thanks, NicM.

Replies 0

Thanks
Top Solution Authors