Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Medicare levy exemption

Highlighted

Views 158

Replies 3

If I indicate that I am a resident for tax purposes (As I am holding student visa subclass 500), What should I answer for Were you a temporary resident for Medicare purposes and have a Medicare entitlement statement?"
I am still waiting for MES from Services Australia.

Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@elish_kstha1994 

Don't lodge until you have an exemption certificate.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@elish_kstha1994 

Don't lodge until you have an exemption certificate.

Replies 1

Also after I receive the MES do I need to email ATO about it or anything else?? Thank you.
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @elish_kstha1994

See Category 3: Not entitled to Medicare benefits You will see it clearly shows what needs to happen.

To make it easy for you ..... it says in part:

To claim an exemption, you must first submit a Medicare entitlement statement to Medicare and receive a certification letter from them saying that you were not entitled to Medicare benefits for a particular period. You can then claim the exemption for the period that Medicare has advised.

You need to submit a Medicare entitlement statement to Medicare each year you want to claim an exemption.

For more information on how to apply for a Medicare entitlement statement as a temporary resident, go to servicesaustralia.gov.au

As for when it comes to lodging the instructions simply say:

• If you were a temporary resident for Medicare purposes and have a Medicare entitlement statement from Services Australia covering a period in 2019–20 (see Category 3), then print C in the CLAIM TYPE box.

You should keep the document should we ask you to produce it.