Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

One car used for two people

Initiate

Views 510

Replies 1

Hi there,
I am trying to clarify if my partner and I can do this for our 2020 tax returns. Basically we bought a brand new car in July 2019 and he used it for his job at the time (kept a log book for 12 weeks) however he left his job in February 2020 and needed a more suitable vehicle for his new job so I sold my old car and started using the new car from this point on in my sole trader business, I have kept a 12 week log book also.

So my question is: Can he claim his logbook method deductions for the part of the 2019/2020 financial year that he used the car for and then can I claim it for the remainder part of the year when I took use of it?

Just to clarify the finance on the car and the car itself was purchased in both of our names and registered for private use.

Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @PearlJammerMama,

As long as your car expenses meet the deduction criteria, you would both be able to claim these expenses for the part of the year you were using the car for work-related travel.

Hope this helps!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @PearlJammerMama,

As long as your car expenses meet the deduction criteria, you would both be able to claim these expenses for the part of the year you were using the car for work-related travel.

Hope this helps!