Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Other Income

Highlighted

Views 323

Replies 1

Hi all,

Two pronged question.

Firstly I get a payment most months, usually only couple hundred dollers for reporting streetlights that are not working (odd pass time I know) in the form of a Guaranteed Service Level payment. Am I right in assuming that this would be taxable, and would be included as Other Income.

Secondly, assuming that my first point is right can I claim any deduction for using car as I usually carry out this activity (driving around looking for street lights not functioning in order to report) prior to and after ariving at work. ie:claim the  km's that are in addition to the distance I drive to work.

With many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @NP,

Welcome to our community!

You're correct, your income is taxable. If you perform minor work-related tasks on the way to work, you're usually not entitled to claim a deduction. There are few situations where travel expenses between home and your normal place of employment is deductible. Find out more about work-related expenses you can and can't claim over on our website.

Thanks,
EmilyW

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @NP,

Welcome to our community!

You're correct, your income is taxable. If you perform minor work-related tasks on the way to work, you're usually not entitled to claim a deduction. There are few situations where travel expenses between home and your normal place of employment is deductible. Find out more about work-related expenses you can and can't claim over on our website.

Thanks,
EmilyW