Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Private PIano Teacher - where to list income and deductions in tax return?

Views 1024

Replies 1

Hi. I'm a private piano teacher who teaches from home. I get paid in cash and issue receipts so have a good record of my income for the year. I store any deductions in "My Deductions" in the ATO App and have receipts for these items. I earn less than $10000 per year so fall under the tax free threshold. This is my sole source of income. Could you please advise the best way to record my income and deductions in my annual tax return? Each year I do something different and I thought I should find out the correct way to record things this year! I do have an ABN although have only used it to be eligible to be a Creative Kids Provider in NSW and have not previously included it when completing my tax return. When I looked at doing my return as a small business, I could not see an option of music teacher as a business service. Also, the business tax return seemed far too complex and involved for the nature of my "business" (although I am happy to fill this in if it is the correct option). Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MusicalMystery 

The instruction guide for myTax 2020 will assist you with reporting business income and deductions. You can start at the section on how to personalise your tax return. You can also see information on income and deductions at the Net income or loss from business site.

Hope this helps.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MusicalMystery 

The instruction guide for myTax 2020 will assist you with reporting business income and deductions. You can start at the section on how to personalise your tax return. You can also see information on income and deductions at the Net income or loss from business site.

Hope this helps.