Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Queensland - Regional back to work employer support

Views 663

Replies 2

are the Queensland - regional back to work employer support payments taxable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @cpalma,

Thanks for being patient.

I've spoken to the support team and we’ve been advised that most government grants are not taxable however the taxation implication of any payments made to an applicant under Back to Work may differ depending on the applicant’s personal circumstances. The Queensland Government is unable to provide taxation advice and accordingly we recommend consulting your own professional adviser to determine any taxation implications that may apply. (Taken from PDF mentioned below)

As there is no definitive answer for your question, as all applicants are subject to personal circumstances, I will link a few other pages for you to read through that may assist you and your professional advisor to self-assess those payments.

From our website:

Business.gov.au website:

Back to work website:

I do apologise we couldn’t provide you with a specific answer though you and your tax professional should be able to work out whether this income is taxable or not for your business.

The last options available if you cannot assess whether this is taxable income or not, it may be worth requesting early engagement advice or even a private ruling yourself with your circumstances.

Hope it goes well for you Smiley Very Happy

2 REPLIES 2

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @cpalma,

We are currently seeking advice from the Income department for a definitive answer, we will respond once we have it Smiley Happy

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @cpalma,

Thanks for being patient.

I've spoken to the support team and we’ve been advised that most government grants are not taxable however the taxation implication of any payments made to an applicant under Back to Work may differ depending on the applicant’s personal circumstances. The Queensland Government is unable to provide taxation advice and accordingly we recommend consulting your own professional adviser to determine any taxation implications that may apply. (Taken from PDF mentioned below)

As there is no definitive answer for your question, as all applicants are subject to personal circumstances, I will link a few other pages for you to read through that may assist you and your professional advisor to self-assess those payments.

From our website:

Business.gov.au website:

Back to work website:

I do apologise we couldn’t provide you with a specific answer though you and your tax professional should be able to work out whether this income is taxable or not for your business.

The last options available if you cannot assess whether this is taxable income or not, it may be worth requesting early engagement advice or even a private ruling yourself with your circumstances.

Hope it goes well for you Smiley Very Happy