ATO Community

Refund delay

Ask a question

Views 415

Replies 1

Processing of my tax return has taken 40 days so far, is delayed, and there is no resolution in sight. The refund is large, due to legitimate tax deductions made during the year. The ATO tell me all they need is my employer to tell them how much tax I paid during the year, and it will be completed. 

My employer treats its' employees poorly. Requests from employees or information about employees from third parties such as the ATO are given low priority and are sometimes not answered. Even though I am an Australian resident and employee, all admin is done in an undermanned Hong Kong head office. 

I note that the ATO has far reaching powers, and almost limitless resources. So my question is this.

How do I get my return processed if my employer won't hand over the information asked of them, and what action usually gets taken against an employer who fails to provide requested information from the ATO?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Dontvoteshorten,

We're sorry to hear about delays with your income tax return. While we can answer your question in relation to pay as you go withholding summary statements for employers, we can't provide any updates on the progress of your return in a public forum.

Our systems perform a yearly reconciliation of salary and wage payments made in activity statements against payment summary data declared in the tax return and against the lodged Payment Summary Annual Report. If there is a discrepancy on any of these systems it will be identified, profiled and escalated to an audit case to rectify the issue. We'll use our administrative powers to access, review, make estimates and/or issue Failure to Withhold penalties depending on the circumstances of each case.

If you're dissatisfied with your current work conditions,  we'd encourage you to contact the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO). The FWO can help explain your rights in the workplace, and may be able to provide support moderating discussions with your employer about your conditions. You can find their contact details on their website.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Dontvoteshorten,

We're sorry to hear about delays with your income tax return. While we can answer your question in relation to pay as you go withholding summary statements for employers, we can't provide any updates on the progress of your return in a public forum.

Our systems perform a yearly reconciliation of salary and wage payments made in activity statements against payment summary data declared in the tax return and against the lodged Payment Summary Annual Report. If there is a discrepancy on any of these systems it will be identified, profiled and escalated to an audit case to rectify the issue. We'll use our administrative powers to access, review, make estimates and/or issue Failure to Withhold penalties depending on the circumstances of each case.

If you're dissatisfied with your current work conditions,  we'd encourage you to contact the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO). The FWO can help explain your rights in the workplace, and may be able to provide support moderating discussions with your employer about your conditions. You can find their contact details on their website.

Thanks.

Top Solution Authors