Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Should I include my former spouse's details in this year's tax return?

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 6811

Replies 1

Hi, my spouse and I have been separated since January 2017. She is living with 3 of our 4 children and getting family assistance from Centerlink. I have not paid any child support as she has refused. Should I include her and the 3 children when I am doing my tax return?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Acacia,

Thanks for your question! If you had a spouse between July 2016 and June 2017, you'll need to complete the section on Spouse details in your tax return. If you don't have your spouse's financial information, you can use your best guess to answer the question.

We won't penalise you if you report information different to your former partner as long as we can see that you've provided a reasonable estimate.

We use information about your spouse and family to help work out whether:

• you are entitled to a rebate for your private health insurance
  • you are entitled to the seniors and pensioners tax offset
  • you are entitled to a Medicare levy reduction
  • you must pay Medicare levy surcharge.

If you've made a financial contribution to raising your children, they may be considered to be a 'dependant' for Medicare Levy Surcharge purposes. Children are generally only considered to be dependants if you are paying child support when they aren't living with you.

Hope that helps! Thanks, Amanda

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Acacia,

Thanks for your question! If you had a spouse between July 2016 and June 2017, you'll need to complete the section on Spouse details in your tax return. If you don't have your spouse's financial information, you can use your best guess to answer the question.

We won't penalise you if you report information different to your former partner as long as we can see that you've provided a reasonable estimate.

We use information about your spouse and family to help work out whether:

• you are entitled to a rebate for your private health insurance
  • you are entitled to the seniors and pensioners tax offset
  • you are entitled to a Medicare levy reduction
  • you must pay Medicare levy surcharge.

If you've made a financial contribution to raising your children, they may be considered to be a 'dependant' for Medicare Levy Surcharge purposes. Children are generally only considered to be dependants if you are paying child support when they aren't living with you.

Hope that helps! Thanks, Amanda