ATO Community

Re: Spouse's income

Ask a question

Views 525

Replies 1

When my partner completed her tax return online she has 2 sets of income that year, paid parental leave paid by the govt and personal services income. when adding the personal services income due to it being under the tax free threshold the system requested she remove the amount and would actually not let her save and submit it until the amount was removed.

I would like to know, when completing my tax online, what do I put under the 'spouse's" income/tax section? Do I add together the paid parental leave and the PSI she received and put it all under income? or do I put just the paid parental leave? or leave it blank?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @AB3000,

Thanks for getting in touch. If your spouse earned income working under an ABN, she may need to report her income from business under a specific section of myTax - she may have needed to report at Personal Services Income or Business income or loss even if she earned less than $18,200. This depends on a number of factors - for example, whether your spouse was paid as an employee or a contractor, the kind of personal services work completed and so forth.

Paid parental leave needs to be reported at Salary and wages in myTax, whether it was paid by Centrelink, an employer or if your spouse is self-employed.

If your spouse isn't sure whether she's reported her income correctly, we'd encourage her to contact us to discuss her situation or seek the advice of a registered tax practitioner. If your spouse does need to update her return, she can request an amendment online.

You'll need to report your spouse's total income on your tax return, as we use this information to work out whether you're entitled to certain tax offsets or other Government payments.

Hope that helps!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @AB3000,

Thanks for getting in touch. If your spouse earned income working under an ABN, she may need to report her income from business under a specific section of myTax - she may have needed to report at Personal Services Income or Business income or loss even if she earned less than $18,200. This depends on a number of factors - for example, whether your spouse was paid as an employee or a contractor, the kind of personal services work completed and so forth.

Paid parental leave needs to be reported at Salary and wages in myTax, whether it was paid by Centrelink, an employer or if your spouse is self-employed.

If your spouse isn't sure whether she's reported her income correctly, we'd encourage her to contact us to discuss her situation or seek the advice of a registered tax practitioner. If your spouse does need to update her return, she can request an amendment online.

You'll need to report your spouse's total income on your tax return, as we use this information to work out whether you're entitled to certain tax offsets or other Government payments.

Hope that helps!

Top Solution Authors