Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Re: TPAR - Payment to Non Resident Overseas Contractors (IT Services)

Highlighted

Views 1315

Replies 6

I am into IT Services currently providing services to client(s) overseas. As part of this sole trader business, I have also engaged overseas contractor to assist me in completing some of the assignments. So far, in the tax return, I have been showing the total overseas payments that I receive from my client(s) in a financial year as my 'total income' and the total payments which I transfer overseas to the non-australian & non-resident contractor as 'payment to sub-contractor'.

As I understand that from the next year I need to fill Taxable payments annual report (TPAR). Since, I make overseas payments to the contractor who is not australian resident for the tax purpose, what I have to do in TPAR?. Do I need to file a TPAR report in the situation when contrator has no ABN, no Australian link and is outside the jurisdiction of ATO?.

Please help with this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @Atul,

Thanks for your question!

First of all, if your contractor is not carrying on an enterprise in Australia and is not entitled to an ABN, they should provide you with a written record of this fact, such as with a Statement by Supplier not quoting an ABN. If they do not provide you with suitable evidence as to why they have not provided you with ah ABN, then you may need to withhold tax from those payments.

Keeping these records will help you in the long term as compliance rules change, so it's best to get this organised as soon as possible if you haven't already.

If you review our page on payments and details you need to report for Taxable Payments reporting, you will see that payments to overseas workers or contractors are only not required to be reported if PAYG Withholding obligations apply.

If you are not required to withhold tax from the payments made to the overseas contractor, then those obligations do not apply and you should report the payments on the TPAR.

I hope this is helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @Atul,

Thanks for your question!

First of all, if your contractor is not carrying on an enterprise in Australia and is not entitled to an ABN, they should provide you with a written record of this fact, such as with a Statement by Supplier not quoting an ABN. If they do not provide you with suitable evidence as to why they have not provided you with ah ABN, then you may need to withhold tax from those payments.

Keeping these records will help you in the long term as compliance rules change, so it's best to get this organised as soon as possible if you haven't already.

If you review our page on payments and details you need to report for Taxable Payments reporting, you will see that payments to overseas workers or contractors are only not required to be reported if PAYG Withholding obligations apply.

If you are not required to withhold tax from the payments made to the overseas contractor, then those obligations do not apply and you should report the payments on the TPAR.

I hope this is helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

Highlighted

Replies 2

Thank you Rachael for your reply. It really helped me in clearing some of my doubts.

I didnt know about 'Statement by a Supplier' form. I will get it filled by my overseas contractor. However, looking at the form, seems like its expecting an Australian address while my contractor is an Indian without any Australian address. Thinking of getting it filled somehow by writing outside the text boxes. Form has space for 4 digits postcode whereas India has standard 6 digits postcode. Even space for State is not sufficient.

Also, just looked at the sample hard copy of TPAR form, it’s also expecting an Australian address. May be online form has capability to handle overseas payee address. Will wait until July to check it online. 

Thank you again for your help and sorry for my late reply. I never got alert in my mail box.

Many Thanks

Atul

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thanks, where do I put the "Statement by Supplier not quoting an ABN" document?

When adding the supplier, I'll just put zero in the tax withheld number?

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @niknah

We use TPAR reporting to identify contractors who have not met their tax obligation. So where you have an overseas non-resident contractor then you are keeping the "Statement of Supplier" once received on file  as your confirmation of the circumstance. The payer must keep this document with other records relating to the supply for five years.

For more information see Taxable payments annual report. You will find a series of headings under this that may be helpful.

Thanks

MarkATO

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

Hello Rachael

After reading the thread below

I believe I still need to include the o/seas contractor in a Taxbale Payments Report

My software program will not generat a TPAR without an ABN or an Aust address for each Contractor

How doi I work around this

Thanks

Peter H

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @BalancedBooks

You can lodge a separate form for those contractors your software doesn't allow. Just provide the information you know about them. Also ensure you don't mark the form as an amendment so we know its an original and additional to what you have already submitted. See our website for TPAR lodgment options

Thanks, Ari