Announcements
COVID-19 update: Check out our answers to common questions about JobKeeper payment and early release of super.

ATO Community

Tax Return (double taxes)

Highlighted

Views 205

Replies 1

I’m an Australian that has moved to Japan a couple of years ago.

1. I work remotely in Japan for a Sydney based company back home. 
  2. I get paid in AUD into my Australian bank account and get taxed withheld here as well.
  3. I am considered a resident in Japan and have therefore already pay my taxes in Japan.
  4. I understand there is a double tax agreement but unsure how to lodge my return so I don’t get taxed back in Australia

When I lodge my return, Is there somewhere  where I put down the amount of taxes I've already paid in Japan?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sammy,

Welcome to ATO Community and thanks for your question! If you have assessable income from overseas, you must declare it in your Australian income tax return. If you have paid foreign tax in another country, you may be entitled to an Australian foreign income tax offset, which provides relief from double taxation. Here is a guide to the foreign income tax offset rules for 2019, that includes information on how to claim and calculate the foreign income tax offset.

I hope this helps @JodieM

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sammy,

Welcome to ATO Community and thanks for your question! If you have assessable income from overseas, you must declare it in your Australian income tax return. If you have paid foreign tax in another country, you may be entitled to an Australian foreign income tax offset, which provides relief from double taxation. Here is a guide to the foreign income tax offset rules for 2019, that includes information on how to claim and calculate the foreign income tax offset.

I hope this helps @JodieM