ATO Community

Re: Tax Return

Ask a question

Views 1214

Replies 2

Hello,

I have recently returned back to the UK after spending 1 year on a WHV in Perth. I have lodged my tax return with an agent; however the she has come back to me on three different occasions stating 3 different return/repayment amounts. I do believe I am entitled to more as two of my peers lodged their tax returns and have gained their refunds without any issues? My tax agent is saying that I am being affected with the new WHV law, but how can I be affected when others aren’t? Surely a new law should apply to all? Can anyone advise me?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @bernienug2011

Only income earned from 1 January 2017 is eligible for the working holiday maker tax rates. You will receive a separate payment summary for any income from this date.

Your employer will also report the details from the payment summary to us.

If you worked for the same employer before and after 1 January 2017, your employer will give you two payment summaries. Income earned before 1 January 2017 is taxed at ordinary rates. Income earned from 1 January 2017 is taxed at 15%. When you lodge your tax return it is important that your income is included correctly to ensure that you aren't over-taxed.

The working holiday maker tax rate is different to the tax rate for Australian residents.

The working holiday maker tax rate is 15% until you earn $37,000.

Australian resident taxpayers get the first $18,200 tax free (known as the tax free threshold), and then pay 19% until they earn $37,000.

Each persons circumstance's are different, Please see here for examples: https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/international-tax-for-individuals/coming-to-australia/working-hol...

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
2 REPLIES 2

Enthusiast

Replies 0

If you Haven't yet received your Notice of Assesment, you can check on the Progress of your tax return.

If you have received it, and disagree with the amount of your return / amounts on the notice of assesment, you should  contact the ATO and/or your tax agent to discuss it further. (Your tax agent's estimate is NOT the final ATO descision / Final amount, so please wait to receive this before worrying about if it is correct or not) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @bernienug2011

Only income earned from 1 January 2017 is eligible for the working holiday maker tax rates. You will receive a separate payment summary for any income from this date.

Your employer will also report the details from the payment summary to us.

If you worked for the same employer before and after 1 January 2017, your employer will give you two payment summaries. Income earned before 1 January 2017 is taxed at ordinary rates. Income earned from 1 January 2017 is taxed at 15%. When you lodge your tax return it is important that your income is included correctly to ensure that you aren't over-taxed.

The working holiday maker tax rate is different to the tax rate for Australian residents.

The working holiday maker tax rate is 15% until you earn $37,000.

Australian resident taxpayers get the first $18,200 tax free (known as the tax free threshold), and then pay 19% until they earn $37,000.

Each persons circumstance's are different, Please see here for examples: https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/international-tax-for-individuals/coming-to-australia/working-hol...

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
Top Solution Authors