Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Tax free threshold

Highlighted

Views 344

Replies 1

I’ve recently started a full time job and claiming tax-free threshold however two old employers still state on the ATO website that I am claiming from them. How do I change this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

When you start a job, your payer (employer) will give you a Tax file number declaration to complete. Once your taxable income is over the $18,200 tax free threshold you will need pay tax on the excess. If you are working for more than when one employer you should claim the tax free threshold on the higher earning job...

Your second payer is required to withhold tax at the higher, 'no tax-free threshold' rate. The same applies to any additional payers. This reduces the likelihood of you having a tax debt at the end of the financial year.

Https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/working/working-as-an-employee/claiming-the-tax-free-threshold/#I...
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

When you start a job, your payer (employer) will give you a Tax file number declaration to complete. Once your taxable income is over the $18,200 tax free threshold you will need pay tax on the excess. If you are working for more than when one employer you should claim the tax free threshold on the higher earning job...

Your second payer is required to withhold tax at the higher, 'no tax-free threshold' rate. The same applies to any additional payers. This reduces the likelihood of you having a tax debt at the end of the financial year.

Https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/working/working-as-an-employee/claiming-the-tax-free-threshold/#I...