Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Re: Tax refund delayed

Highlighted

Views 2387

Replies 3

I lodged my tax return on the 4 July and so far all it it shows is that it is under review. I was sent a letter saying it should be processed within the 30days but still no movement. I rang the ato and was told they were waiting on some information from my employer. I’ve been in contact with my employers and they have submitted all the details that are required. I don’t know what is going on whenever I ring to inquire I get told that they can’t see what info they are waiting on but won’t let me talk to someone who can. I’m really frustrated it was a simple return and all my fellow employees have done their tax and got their refund. Please help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Anonymous

Replies 0

Firstly, when the ATO states 28 days it is 28 calendar days, not business days ... its part of their service standard.  Unless of course they state its business days.

I realise that the matter may be under control at the moment.. however ... 

If everything gets out of hand again and  your still not getting anywhere then the best way to get any real action is not to phone the general tax line back as they can't do much about it .. they have no ability to have the rtn processed any faster ...

you have to lodge a complaint ...  by lodgeing a complaint a special ATO "resolver" officer will be in touch within 3 working days of lodging the complaint and they will take on the responsibility of looking into the issue thoroughly and moving it on in an quicker manner.

two ways of lodging complaint ...

Using .. the Complaints form

or phoning 1800 199 010 8am–6pm, Monday to Friday

https://www.ato.gov.au/About-ATO/Contact-us/Complaints,-compliments-and-suggestions/Complaints/

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 1

It's always delayed if you have amended it. I assume you didn't do that. They won't ever tell you what they are waiting for, unless they are really bad at their job.

Although they may say "30 days", they always mean "30 business days", which looks like it is today.

BUT NOW that it has been the required number of days, you can call them and ask them to speed it up, which they normally do by arbitrarily telling you someone more advanced will be looking at it and giving you a better approximate in the order of a few business days. I wouldn't freak out about it too much.

Replies 0

Thanks mate
I’ve managed to talk to someone who could clarify the reason for the delay. Turns out that out of the hundreds of employees my work has, they managed to not send my tax info into the ato. Hopefully the ato receives the info today or tomorrow and the can finalise my return.

Quite over it at the moment as it was a very straight forward return with minimal deductions.

Highlighted

Best answer

Anonymous

Replies 0

Firstly, when the ATO states 28 days it is 28 calendar days, not business days ... its part of their service standard.  Unless of course they state its business days.

I realise that the matter may be under control at the moment.. however ... 

If everything gets out of hand again and  your still not getting anywhere then the best way to get any real action is not to phone the general tax line back as they can't do much about it .. they have no ability to have the rtn processed any faster ...

you have to lodge a complaint ...  by lodgeing a complaint a special ATO "resolver" officer will be in touch within 3 working days of lodging the complaint and they will take on the responsibility of looking into the issue thoroughly and moving it on in an quicker manner.

two ways of lodging complaint ...

Using .. the Complaints form

or phoning 1800 199 010 8am–6pm, Monday to Friday

https://www.ato.gov.au/About-ATO/Contact-us/Complaints,-compliments-and-suggestions/Complaints/