Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Tax refund processing delay

Highlighted

Views 5140

Replies 7

Hi ATO,

Why my tax refund process is delayed yet I waited for 2 weeks. 

STATUS MESSAGE is:

The processing of your tax return has been delayed because we need to verify information you have provided. This can include checking it against data provided to us by employers, banks and other government agencies.

You don’t need to contact us. If we need more information from you, we’ll contact you.

Make sure your contact details are up to date.

I know that you can't guarantee it's safe to discuss my personal information here and you can't access my account or discuss the progress of my return. But please let me know what should I do to consider my tax return as High priority request. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @karthickscse,

Welcome to our Community!

The information @Anonymous has provided is correct - you can check out our guide to Tax Time 2018: Where’s my tax return? Explaining timeframes, ‘processed’ and ‘effective’ dates and balancing accounts for further information.

We aim to process electronic returns within 10 business days, however in some cases it may take up to 30 days for processing.

If you're experiencing financial hardship, we may be able to provide priority processing of your return. You can find more information about requesting priority processing on our website.

Thanks, JodieH.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 0

If the ATO need more information from you they will be in touch, but until they finish their review process all you can do wait.

There is no way to mark your return "High Priority" when it is under review, as the ATO will continue with the review until they have finalised their review process no matter how long it takes.

ATO general line 13 28 61

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @karthickscse,

Welcome to our Community!

The information @Anonymous has provided is correct - you can check out our guide to Tax Time 2018: Where’s my tax return? Explaining timeframes, ‘processed’ and ‘effective’ dates and balancing accounts for further information.

We aim to process electronic returns within 10 business days, however in some cases it may take up to 30 days for processing.

If you're experiencing financial hardship, we may be able to provide priority processing of your return. You can find more information about requesting priority processing on our website.

Thanks, JodieH.

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 1

@JodieH

can you please clarify,

when a taxpayer is under review / audit the ATO will not even provide a private ruling to the taxpayer on the issues that are under review.

So can you please tell me why the ATO would even consider processing someones tax return faster if they are under review / audit , even if they claim financial hardship? 

If all a taxpayer has to do is claim financial hardship to get past a review, then everyone that comes under review will be doing it ...

Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Anonymous,

We assess all claims for priority processing due to financial hardship on a case-by-case basis.

If someone can demonstrate their financial hardship, provide any documentation we need to verify their claims and process their return, and have a genuine need for their refund, we will consider their request.

People can submit a request for priority processing, but they may not receive it, particularly where they can't prove they have an urgent need for their refund.

Thanks, @AmandaE

Highlighted

Replies 2

Hi @JodieH

This was the email I received a month ago from ATO. 

"Your 2018 income tax return has been delayed to verify the information you have provided. We are waiting to receive information from your employer about how much income you were paid in the last financial year and the amount of tax deducted. Your employer needs to give us this information by 14 August. We will compare the information you gave us in your income tax return with the data provided to us by your employer. If the information is the same, we will process your return. If the information is different, we will ask you for more evidence to support your claims. If we owe you a refund we will also pay you any interest you are entitled to because of the delay. View your income tax return delay letter for detailed information. If you have a tax agent, they can access a copy of the income tax return delay letter through their own tax agent portal and continue to act on your behalf."

Now the date is 16th Aug 2018. So far nothing happenend. I checked with my employer and he says he had already submitted enough information to ATO. 

What can I do to get my tax returns? 

FYI, I worked only ONE month during FY 2017-18, I paid tax of 4000$ and waiting for the returns for ages. 

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @karthickscse,

Thanks for getting in touch!

As we can provide you with general information here on our Community, we can't guarantee it's safe to share personal information in an online forum so we can't access your account to check the progress of your return.

If we've contacted you previously and advised your return has been delayed because we're waiting on further information and for further checks need to be made, you need to wait for this to occur so we can process your return correctly.

As we've advised previously, if you're experiencing financial hardship because of the delay with your tax return you can request priority processing.

Thanks, JodieH.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi @JodieH

There is no clarity on how do I can raise priority request on the online portal. 

If you have already lodged your tax return:

1. Go to Progress of return to use our online enquiry tool. This will give you the status of the income tax return you have lodged for the latest financial year (ending 30 June). Note: You may not need to lodge a request for hardship if your return is in the final stages of processing, and you will receive your notice soon.
  2. If your income tax return is not in the final stages of processing, assess your eligibility against the information provided under Evidence of serious financial hardship. Confirm the evidence you will need to supply to support your request.
  3. Fax the documents that demonstrate you are in serious financial hardship to 1300 730 298 with the following information clearly written on top of the documents  
    • your tax file number (TFN)
    • the words financial hardship
    • your contact phone number.

This is the info I can find in your shared link. Before you share the link, I am aware of the info. But not sure, where to go to raise a PRIORITY REQUEST in online portal. Faxing the document to 1300 730 298 will not help either you and me to solve the issue. So this post is useless for a layman like me. 

Email from ATO says that 

"Your 2018 income tax return has been delayed to verify the information you have provided. We are waiting to receive information from your employer about how much income you were paid in the last financial year and the amount of tax deducted. Your employer needs to give us this information by 14 August. "

Other than this I dont have any responses/messages from ATO. Now please open your eyes and read my repeated question:

Now the date is Aug 17th. Did ATO get the information from my employer by Aug 14th? If my employer hadn't given the information by the due date, what would be the ATO's response for a tax payer (like me)? Are you calendar's running or still you are in BCs?

FYI-I have inquired with my employer and they have shared sufficient information with ATO. 

Why still ATO is not taking any action on my tax lodgement? Are you guys really working? 

If you cant answer my questions, please do not reply like "As we can provide you with general information here on our Community, we can't guarantee it's safe to share personal information in an online forum so we can't access your account to check the progress of your return.". This is waste of your time, my time and forum reader's time. This is useless as I did not reveal any of my personal information, tax file number, income information, employer information, in fact my identity. 

It's a biggest scam that ATO is eating people's money for doing nothing and giving some silly reasons like WAITING FOR EMPLOYER TO PROVIDE INFORMATION,

and this community is posting some non-sense useless repeated answers.