Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Tax refund taken by Centrelink

Highlighted

Views 889

Replies 2

I was just informed by accountant My tax refund was taken by Centrelink this year, I’m not sure why this would happen as I’ve had no contact with Centrelink for over 8 years having a full time job and never had a Centrelink debt. Can someone please explain?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Trent2291,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We can provide general information here, however we can't guarantee it's safe to share personal information in an online forum so we can't access your account.

If you you're entitled to a refund but have a debt with us or another Government agency, we’re required by law to offset your refund against those debts. Any credits remaining will be refunded to you. 

You'll need to contact Centrelink directly to discuss what the debt relates to in more detail. If you have further queries regarding your tax return or your tax account, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi Trent,

Have you called Centrelink yet to discuss this tax refund offset? Unfortunately the ATO does have discretion over offsets to other goverment bodies.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Trent2291,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We can provide general information here, however we can't guarantee it's safe to share personal information in an online forum so we can't access your account.

If you you're entitled to a refund but have a debt with us or another Government agency, we’re required by law to offset your refund against those debts. Any credits remaining will be refunded to you. 

You'll need to contact Centrelink directly to discuss what the debt relates to in more detail. If you have further queries regarding your tax return or your tax account, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.