Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Tax return delayed 2 months

Highlighted

Views 1101

Replies 2

My tax return has been delayed for 2 months, when I call to ATO, reprentatives always say they cannot do anything, they cannot contact authorized people who have the answer and they pass my case to escalaters who suppose to ring me - if they need information from me, but no one calls me. Why does this happen? How do I know how my tax return is and whether I get tax refund or not? I am in a financial hardship but I don't have any documents to prove that. What should I do now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @nahuynh,

Welcome to our Community!  Thanks for your question.  We can provide you with general information that may assist you.

Sometimes, returns take longer to process than the timeframes listed.  Returns can be delayed for a number of reasons. You’re correct in saying that if we need any further information from you to finalise it, we will contact you. For further information, check out our knowledge base article on this subject.

We recommend tracking the real-time status and outcome of your tax return by logging into our online services via myGov. Our website describes further details to understand the stage your progress of return is at.

If you think your circumstances put you under serious financial hardship you can ask us to process your return as a priority, we will require evidence of this.

I hope this helps, JodieM

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @nahuynh,

Welcome to our Community!  Thanks for your question.  We can provide you with general information that may assist you.

Sometimes, returns take longer to process than the timeframes listed.  Returns can be delayed for a number of reasons. You’re correct in saying that if we need any further information from you to finalise it, we will contact you. For further information, check out our knowledge base article on this subject.

We recommend tracking the real-time status and outcome of your tax return by logging into our online services via myGov. Our website describes further details to understand the stage your progress of return is at.

If you think your circumstances put you under serious financial hardship you can ask us to process your return as a priority, we will require evidence of this.

I hope this helps, JodieM

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 0

Hi @nahuynh

I understand fully where you are coming from.

2 months is well outside of the ATO service standards especially given the lack of communication from the ATO side.

Given you are not satisfied with the ATO service you have received to date then I suggest you lodge a Formal Complaint and its real easy to do.  There are two ways you can lodge a complaint one is by filling in a complaints form online and the other is to the phone the ATO.  

Personally I beleive the phone method is better.

The first thing they will do after positively identifying you throught a series of questions is to register your complaint and then they will allocate the issue to an ATO Resolver, whom will contact you within 3 business days of lodging the complaint.   The ATO Resolver will then hopefully get the matter resolved asap.

Just make sure that they give you a receipt number for your records when you lodge the complaint.

To lodge your complaint:

• access the Complaints form
  • phone 1800 199 010 8am–6pm, Monday to Friday (local time), except national public holidays