Announcements
COVID-19 update: We expect to publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For other questions, check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Tax return - summary incorrect

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 500

Replies 1

For the 2017/2018 tax year, my employer issued an incorrect tax summary that includes non-taxable income as taxable (they also incorrectly withheld tax on the non-taxable portion).  My employer acknowledges that they incorrectly taxed me and that the summary was incorrect.

My accountant has advised I should wait until I get an amended tax summary before filing my return.  I have been pursuing this with my (previous) employer for months without success.  My employer says they are unable to issue an amended summary because they misreported my income to the ATO.  My employer also advised me I cannot file a tax return stating my actual taxable income/tax paid because it won’t match ATO records.  I feel like I’m at an impasse – what should I do/can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chooky,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're employer has withheld the incorrect amount of tax from your payments, they'll need to amend their PAYG withholding annual report and BAS to us and provide you with an amended payment summary. 

The processing of your income tax return may be delayed if you lodge your return before the information has been amended/corrected.

It's recommended to request your employers to amend their reporting and provide you with an amended payment summary as soon as possible. If you're having difficulties dealing with your employer about the matter, you can contact the Fair Work Ombudsman.

If your employer isn't sure what they need to do, they can phone us on 13 28 66 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chooky,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're employer has withheld the incorrect amount of tax from your payments, they'll need to amend their PAYG withholding annual report and BAS to us and provide you with an amended payment summary. 

The processing of your income tax return may be delayed if you lodge your return before the information has been amended/corrected.

It's recommended to request your employers to amend their reporting and provide you with an amended payment summary as soon as possible. If you're having difficulties dealing with your employer about the matter, you can contact the Fair Work Ombudsman.

If your employer isn't sure what they need to do, they can phone us on 13 28 66 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.