Tax return withheld as tax credit

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 90

Replies 2

Hi All,

I'm very confused, 

This is the first time I've done my tax so sorry if this is a silly question.
I lodged my tax on the 12th of August and it was an easy process.

On the 14th it stated that:

'EFT refund for Income Tax for the period from 01 Jul 18 to 30 Jun 19' had been debited and that my account was at $0 due to it being refunded.

Though later on the 19th it then stated:

'Repaid EFT refund for Income Tax for the period from 01 Jul 18 to 30 Jun 19' and had been taken back as tax credit. 

Does this mean I need to contact someone because I've done something wrong? Is it just taking more time to process? or can I not get my tax refund anymore? I'm very confused.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jessmareemcv,

Welcome to our Community!

It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, but it does mean we may need to check your account to see what has occurred.

@wonka5 has raised a good point with checking your bank account. If the bank account details are incorrect or an old account that is now closed, the refund will be returned back to us. You can check the bank details we have on file for you in myGov account in ATO online services under My profile and Financial institution accounts.

If your bank details are correct, we'd recommend contacting us to speak with an operator who can access your account and provide you with an account explanation.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2

Master

Replies 1

I am not sure, but it kind of sounds like your refund has been paid back, maybe you had the wrong bank account details on your return? Double check in myGov what you put on your return. If they are wrong you will need to fix them up to get your refund.

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jessmareemcv,

Welcome to our Community!

It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, but it does mean we may need to check your account to see what has occurred.

@wonka5 has raised a good point with checking your bank account. If the bank account details are incorrect or an old account that is now closed, the refund will be returned back to us. You can check the bank details we have on file for you in myGov account in ATO online services under My profile and Financial institution accounts.

If your bank details are correct, we'd recommend contacting us to speak with an operator who can access your account and provide you with an account explanation.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors