Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Tax time 2020 – where’s my return?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @andyhilton27,

Thanks for letting us know, we are sorry to hear that your enquiry wasn’t resolved during your call! You can find more detailed information about the meaning of ‘Balancing account’ and tracking the progress of your return from the links listed here;

Balancing account and progress of return.

Initiate

Replies 9

Hi. I lodged my tax return on 13th July 2020. That was 9 weeks ago. The status has been 'balancing account' since about 20th July. I don't want to call about it because I know I'll be on hold for at least an hour. It's there a point at which returns are automatically escalated based on how long they've been in the system? How long could I potentially be waiting? This is getting ridiculous.

Enthusiast

Replies 4

Hello,
That's a crazy amount of time are you on Jobseeker or Jobkeeper? I'm starting to think they are holding them up on purpose as there is no logical reason for waiting two months. I know they say there busy but seriously this is a JOKE now!!! Never will I use their site again, Almost broke now. Thanks a lot ATO 😤

Initiate

Replies 3

Yeah, I'm on Jobseeker after losing my job back in March due to the pandemic. No explanation whatsoever from the ATO as to why its taking so long to process a relatively simple tax return.

Enthusiast

Replies 2

I lost my Job too at the beginning of all this and am on Jobseeker not sure if this is the problem but it's just a JOKE now. People really need there returns this year and they are making people suffer. A friend of mine did her own through ATO and received it in 6 days please explain ATO!! Somebody needs to get hustling at the ATO and process these returns quickly and I don't want a generic computer generated answer.

Enthusiast

Replies 1

As frustrating as your situation is I doubt the ATO staff on here are able to give you anything more than general info. This is an anonymous forum, they can't see what is happening to your return

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks Jayne. You're right, they can't really look into it unless I contact them and provide my details. 

Community Moderator

Replies 3

Hi @lpark80 

You have been very patient. We have some reasons on this article that can explain why some returns can take longer than others. If none of these apply to you please contact us so we can look into it for you. We are open until 8pm weeknights to assist you.

All the best

Initiate

Replies 1

Thanks Kylie. It's fine, I'll just wait until it's processed. I don't urgently require money, but I've never had to wait more than 6 weeks for my return. 9 weeks (and counting) is just a bit surprising. I'm sure it'll be completed soon. 

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Hello I park. I have been in touch with the ATO and was a client identity issue. Probably would hurt if you called. Supposedly I was sent a letter about it but haven't received anything. Hopefully your ous a simple issue too.