Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Tax time 2020 – where’s my return?

Highlighted

Community Manager

Views 4634

Replies 108

This is a place to discuss the processing of 2020 tax returns, including:

• Processing times
  • Status changes
  • Delays to refunds

If you want to reply to a specific post in this thread, click the ‘reply’ button on that post.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 27

If you’ve lodged online we’ll aim to finalise the outcome within two weeks. If you send us paper forms, it can take up to 10 weeks.

If you notice the status of your return changing in myGov, you don’t need to do anything as this is a normal part of the process. We’ll contact you if we need more information.

108 REPLIES 108
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 27

If you’ve lodged online we’ll aim to finalise the outcome within two weeks. If you send us paper forms, it can take up to 10 weeks.

If you notice the status of your return changing in myGov, you don’t need to do anything as this is a normal part of the process. We’ll contact you if we need more information.

Highlighted

Dynamo

Replies 3

Has anyone else had a payment summary / group certificate whatever they call them these days appear in their account that isn't correct? I've had a payment summary lodge from a recruitment agency i worked for about 10 years... are they claiming job keeper on my behalf????? Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted

Master

Replies 2

@CrystalSparkles that sounds strange. I would contact them and ask them to fix it. If they are claiming JobKeeper for you and shouldn't I would be reporting them to the tip-off number.

What do you think @MCA_Accountants  @KatieAcacia 

Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 1

@CrystalSparkles @mrsquiggle 

The "easiest" way to fix is to contact the recruitment agency and ask them to fix it at their end and re-submit.

If you lodge your tax return without them fixing it, you will end up going through a process with the ATO where they will:

- assess your return with it included

- you'll ring them and object

- they'll contact the agency

- the agency will rectify

- the ATO will amend your return

As nice as the people at the ATO are, the less they are involved, the more efficient it generally is (nothing against the good folk at the ATO, but sometimes it depends on who you get and their workload... and at the moment they have a heavy workload).

Highlighted

Dynamo

Replies 0

Thanks so much @mrsquiggle and @MCA_Accountants. I might try to contact the recruitment company and see how I go. It seems like a good idea to use the tip off line if they have been claiming jobkeeper, I hope not. There's always those who ruin it for the people trying to do the right thing though i guess
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

What if your staus has not changed in 3 weeks??

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 8

I received and email from the ato saying the below:

Thanks for lodging your tax return.

We need extra time to process it as we're doing checks on your account and verifying the information you’ve provided.

This may include:

reviewing all information you provided with the return

verifying personal details in the return against our information

verifying Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) and/or Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS) information

verifying private health insurance information

checking employment termination and/or lump sum payment information

verifying your residency status

verifying whether this is your final return.

We’ll contact you if we need more information.

We'll issue a notice of assessment to your myGov inbox when we have finished.

My question is does anyone know how long it takes from getting this email until the return is finalised?
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Grub,

Thank you for your post. This question has been answered on our forum, you can view our response here.

Hope you and your family are keeping safe and well.

Regards,

Jodie2.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Hello there,,I have the same problem with my tax return.I have got the email from ato but up to now I have not got the result.
I have lodged it on 14 julay but I did't get my tax return.
Cheers