Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Tax

Highlighted

Views 226

Replies 1

I have a casual job now which was giving me 35-45 hours a week. This week they have given me 1 shift. My ex employer said I could work for 6 days whilst not working at my current job, just these 6 days out of the rest of the financial year, do I pay tax on my ex job as a no tax free threshold this week? Or is it still registered with the ATO that I have the tax free threshold on both (thinking I wouldn’t ever go back to my old job), will I get a bill at tax time? I’m confused as my current job won’t be giving me a taxable income for the week, but my ex job will. It’s hard to explain lol.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @T99_,

Thanks for your question and don't stress, you've made the circumstances clear to me.

I recommend completing and providing the ex-employer with a Withholding declaration.

Indicate no to the tax-free threshold on the form and provide it to the Payer.

This way sufficient tax will be withheld and you shouldn't end up with a tax bill.

Any excess tax paid will be refunded through your tax return lodgement.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

JasonT

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @T99_,

Thanks for your question and don't stress, you've made the circumstances clear to me.

I recommend completing and providing the ex-employer with a Withholding declaration.

Indicate no to the tax-free threshold on the form and provide it to the Payer.

This way sufficient tax will be withheld and you shouldn't end up with a tax bill.

Any excess tax paid will be refunded through your tax return lodgement.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

JasonT