Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Urgently updating bank details

Views 2676

Replies 6

Hi just checked my return and it’s been issued but looks like the bank account number is incorrect have tried to call the help line to update the details urgently but due to a high volume of calls I can’t get through.

What’s the best way to resolve this quickly?

Assume that the payment will bounce at the bank but how do I update the details so it goes to the correct account?

Cheers.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 5

Hi @Jt9876,

Thanks for your question.

Have a look at the contact page, I would suggest trying Live Chat.

While you try that we are currently trying to get some information from that area to check the best course of action.

Let us know by replying to this post if you need further assistance.

Thanks

KylieS

6 REPLIES 6

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 5

Hi @Jt9876,

Thanks for your question.

Have a look at the contact page, I would suggest trying Live Chat.

While you try that we are currently trying to get some information from that area to check the best course of action.

Let us know by replying to this post if you need further assistance.

Thanks

KylieS

Replies 0

Thanks Kylie, I got hold of the team last night and they have updated my account details and will be reissuing my refund. Any idea how long it will take and how can I check on the progress?

Thanks.

Replies 3

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Jt9876,

Thanks for getting in touch again.

You can check the progress of your refund in ATO Online Services by navigating to Tax > Accounts > Tax Accounts > Income Tax. This should bring up a transaction list that will show you what's happening on your account. If the refund was returned to us, this will show up as a transaction in the account, and should be followed by another transaction of "EFT refund" once it is reissued.

The processing time will depend on the method used to reissue the refund. Were you provided with a time frame when your bank account details were updated?

I hope this helps,

Rachael B.

Replies 1

Hi Rachael,

The refund sitting in my ATO Tax account - my EFT payment bounced last week and the money has been back in the ATO account since Thursday last week.   - Latest Status "Repaid EFT refund for Income Tax for the period from 01 Jul 18 to 30 Jun 19"

I have updated the account details (on Wednesday last week) both by phone and online and was told that the money would be transferred to the correct account in the next day or so when I spoke to the CSO on Wednesday.   The CSO confirmed they had been in touch with the Accounts department and taken the hold off it and it would be transferred ASAP.

As of today the money is still sitting in the Tax account at the ATO,and there has been no change of status -  The account page says it  "The account has pending transactions that may affect the final balance"  - but given that I have recieved the notice of assesment and the money has been transferred once already assume this shouldn't be the case?   Is there any way to get the transfer expediated? 

Any help would be appreciated.

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hello again @Jt9876,

Sorry to hear that you're still having difficulties!

If you have updated your bank account details, the refund should issue via EFT within 10 days of the refund being returned to us.

If the bank account details were not updated, then we will re-issue your refund by cheque within that same time, but you may have to allow for postage times as well.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to get the refund any faster as it is an automated process. Any escalations that we may be able to complete can take up to 28 days to process with our accounts team.

The notification of "pending transactions" could very well be our background processes waiting to re-issue the refund. The best thing to do is make sure all of your details are up to date, including your bank account, address and phone number, in case we need to contact you.

You can also keep an eye out on that account balance as I mentioned earlier, as when we are able to reissue the refund it will appear as a new transaction in your Income Tax account.

In order to avoid delays in the future, you should ensure that all of your details are up to date before you lodge your next tax return.

I hope this was helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.