• 109 Online
  • 23304 Members
  • 27269 Posts

ATO Community

What actually happens between lodging your tax return and the refund being paid?

Ask a question
Highlighted

Initiate

Views 371

Replies 1

This question is purely out of personal interest!

I've always been pretty impressed at the speed of getting my income tax refund (always within 2 weeks), especially in the years when my return has been pretty complicated. I'm assuming a real human somewhere at least looks at the return - if it were a computer, presumably the refund would be instantaneous (so long as things like your employer and private health insurer have uploaded their data).

So, what actually happens to my return in the week or so that it's getting processed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @TeaWithLunch

Great question! We can give you some general info, but it's important to remember that every person's return is different and may go through different processes on the way through assessment. 

Once you click 'Submit' in myTax, your details are sent through to us and picked up for processing. Our systems will update your information into our system and perform a series of calculations to work out your return by: 

We may also match information in your return with other payers or government agencies during this phase. If we notice a discrepancy (for example, interest income not declared in a tax return), we'll check the rest of your return to see if the amount has been placed at another label by mistake. If we do need to contact you about a discrepancy, we'll provide you with the relevant information to make it easier for you to check your records and let us know if we've made a mistake. This helps reduce the number of amendments people have to make and simplifies the overall process. 

You can track and see how your return is progressing in myTax, and our new Knowledge Base article Tax Time 2018: Where’s my tax return? Explaining timeframes, ‘processed’ and ‘effective’ dates and b... explains what each status indicates. 

While a lot of the work we do to process your return is automated, sometimes we do need a pair of eyes to check and confirm the information in your return or update particular records. If we do need to check information in your return, it may take a little longer. In these situations, we may need up to 30 days to finish processing - we'll let you know if it's going to take any longer than that. 

Hope that helps! 

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @TeaWithLunch

Great question! We can give you some general info, but it's important to remember that every person's return is different and may go through different processes on the way through assessment. 

Once you click 'Submit' in myTax, your details are sent through to us and picked up for processing. Our systems will update your information into our system and perform a series of calculations to work out your return by: 

We may also match information in your return with other payers or government agencies during this phase. If we notice a discrepancy (for example, interest income not declared in a tax return), we'll check the rest of your return to see if the amount has been placed at another label by mistake. If we do need to contact you about a discrepancy, we'll provide you with the relevant information to make it easier for you to check your records and let us know if we've made a mistake. This helps reduce the number of amendments people have to make and simplifies the overall process. 

You can track and see how your return is progressing in myTax, and our new Knowledge Base article Tax Time 2018: Where’s my tax return? Explaining timeframes, ‘processed’ and ‘effective’ dates and b... explains what each status indicates. 

While a lot of the work we do to process your return is automated, sometimes we do need a pair of eyes to check and confirm the information in your return or update particular records. If we do need to check information in your return, it may take a little longer. In these situations, we may need up to 30 days to finish processing - we'll let you know if it's going to take any longer than that. 

Hope that helps! 

Top Solution Authors