Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Would I expect to get my tax refund before being paid a family tax benefit adjustment top up amount?

Highlighted

Views 71

Replies 2

I'm due to get paid a family tax benefit top up payment tomorrow I see online, due to overestimating on my income last financial year. Wouldn't this typically come after receive your tax refund though? It seems odd that my tax lodgement still is processing, & has no payment dates as yet, however the family tax benefit adjustments are finalised & have been showing in the app as having been paid, & with a date for 2 or 3 days now. Wouldn't you typically expect this to happen in the reverse order? Is this normal?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @Mark1302,

These kinds of issues are being discussed in our 'Where's my Return?' thread. Have a read through of the responses on that thread and ask your question if you are unable to see a response that matches your enquiry. A progress of return operative will be able to assist you.

There are no specific rules around what payment (assuming you are due a tax refund and an end of year FTB payment) you should receive first. We (the ATO) and Centrelink (Services Australia) have separate processes.

If your return status is still 'processing' while your FTB adjustments are already finalised, it is likely that you will receive your payment from Services Australia first. You will know when your tax return has been finalised when you receive your notice of assessment. You can keep an eye on our online services (via myGov) to track its progress.

Hope this helps!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @Mark1302,

These kinds of issues are being discussed in our 'Where's my Return?' thread. Have a read through of the responses on that thread and ask your question if you are unable to see a response that matches your enquiry. A progress of return operative will be able to assist you.

There are no specific rules around what payment (assuming you are due a tax refund and an end of year FTB payment) you should receive first. We (the ATO) and Centrelink (Services Australia) have separate processes.

If your return status is still 'processing' while your FTB adjustments are already finalised, it is likely that you will receive your payment from Services Australia first. You will know when your tax return has been finalised when you receive your notice of assessment. You can keep an eye on our online services (via myGov) to track its progress.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Mark1302 

We have provided some additional information about tax refunds and FTB adjustments in our previous response. Check it out.