• 27269 Posts

ATO Community

Wrong bank account

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 219

Replies 4

Hey there
I had to ring up and change my account details today for my refund to go in to. I spoke to a lovely lady who changed them and said that my refund would go into my new added account. I have just checked my internet banking and it's gone into my other account which was severely overdrawn due to severe financial hardship. I now have no refund. Is there any way ATO can take the refund back from bank and place it into the correct account or is it a case of too bad so sad
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are in a difficult situation. Unfortunately, it does sound like you have not updated your bank details early enough to get your refund into your preferred bank account.

Once the payment has left us and the bank has accepted it, the money is no longer ours and we cannot withdraw it back from your bank account. We do not have authority to reverse a payment.

Only your bank would be able to assist at this point.

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous

Replies 3

Hi
Once the funds have been deposited a refund into an third party account the ATO can not take those funds out as they have no authority to operate that account whatsoever.
It sounds like you advised that ATO just a bit too late.

Replies 0

@Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I'll give them a ring tomorrow just to check that they can't do anything.

Replies 1

Can I ring them and ask them to reverse it if I give access to account??

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are in a difficult situation. Unfortunately, it does sound like you have not updated your bank details early enough to get your refund into your preferred bank account.

Once the payment has left us and the bank has accepted it, the money is no longer ours and we cannot withdraw it back from your bank account. We do not have authority to reverse a payment.

Only your bank would be able to assist at this point.

Top Solution Authors