Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

"Balancing account" for almost 2 months

Highlighted

Views 539

Replies 3

Hi, I lodged my tax return on 3rd Oct but but the processing still seems yet to be finalised. I didn't amend anything afterwards and don't have any complex financial components. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 2

Hi @kandicecxc 

Online lodgments are generally processed within two weeks and paper forms can take up to 10 weeks.

There are a few reasons why it might be taking longer, for example, we may need to contact financial institutions, government agencies or private health insurers to confirm or cross-check information in your return.

A status of 'in progress' or 'balancing account' is usually a positive sign that it's nearing the final stages, but you should continue to monitor the progress of your returns online.

NicolaC

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 2

Hi @kandicecxc 

Online lodgments are generally processed within two weeks and paper forms can take up to 10 weeks.

There are a few reasons why it might be taking longer, for example, we may need to contact financial institutions, government agencies or private health insurers to confirm or cross-check information in your return.

A status of 'in progress' or 'balancing account' is usually a positive sign that it's nearing the final stages, but you should continue to monitor the progress of your returns online.

NicolaC

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I understand in some cases it might take longer, but is it normal for processing to take longer than 2 months?

FYI I only have employment income and lodged online. I do not hold any investment besides bank deposit and did not have any private health insurance policies last FY. Thus I don't get what is dragging the processing?

Thanks

Highlighted

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @kandicecxc, we don't have access to your personal account details here on Community so you'll need to contact us if you're after a more specific status update.