Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

visa changed, tax, working holiday visa change to student visa

Highlighted

Views 201

Replies 3

HI,

I hold a work and holiday visa 462 for couple months of this finantial year, and now I already changed to Dependant Student visa 500 for couple months. I keep working during these time.

When I fill the tax return form, it shows I am still the working holiday maker. When I put "no" in "Is ALL of your income and deductions in this tax return related to income you earned while you were on a 417 or 462 visa?" and I put the amount I earned during my WHV period, it shows error and "Error 1 of 1Working holiday maker net income must be greater than or equal to the sum of payment summaries with payment type H less total deductions."

What should I do with this? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @nuan2327,

We've had this question asked a bit through our online community; therefore, I suggest you have a read of these and let us know if you need anything else Smiley Happy

Check this thread relating to changes to visa's part way through the year.

Check this thread relating to your TFN declaration & withholding declaration.

With the error you’re getting, if your age is between 18-35 years old, you may need to complete the 'Working Holiday maker net income' field in the Adjustments section.

For example: Did you earn this income while you held a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) or Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)?

• If you answered yes, you may need to complete the Working Holiday maker net income field in the Adjustments section. This will be automatically answered for clients whose total income is from WHM salary and wages.
  • If the question is incorrectly pre-selected as Yes, the client should change the answer to No and they will not need to complete the Adjustment section

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @nuan2327,

We've had this question asked a bit through our online community; therefore, I suggest you have a read of these and let us know if you need anything else Smiley Happy

Check this thread relating to changes to visa's part way through the year.

Check this thread relating to your TFN declaration & withholding declaration.

With the error you’re getting, if your age is between 18-35 years old, you may need to complete the 'Working Holiday maker net income' field in the Adjustments section.

For example: Did you earn this income while you held a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) or Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)?

• If you answered yes, you may need to complete the Working Holiday maker net income field in the Adjustments section. This will be automatically answered for clients whose total income is from WHM salary and wages.
  • If the question is incorrectly pre-selected as Yes, the client should change the answer to No and they will not need to complete the Adjustment section

Highlighted

Replies 1

HI,

Thank you very much for your help.

I removed the label" working holiday maker " from my second job. And filled my Working holiday maker net income $27,776.00 in Adjustments. But the caculate result is weired. 

My taxable income is $34,470.00

PAYG withholding is $5,159.00

But why my Tax on taxable income is $5438.26? I paid 15% tax through out this financial year, including during the period of holding student visa. 

Shouldn't it be less than $5,159 because student visa has some free tax, right?

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @nuan2327

We can only provide general information on this forum. As you are having trouble completing your tax using myTax we suggest using our live chat function. Live chat services can  be accessed in sections 3 (Personalise return) and 4 (Prepare return) of myTax. This will allow you to speak with one of us in real time so that we can help answer and assist you with any questions you have.

All the best!