Announcements
COVID-19 update: We expect to publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For other questions, check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

189 visa PR that has yet to come to Australia

Views 654

Replies 4

Hello ATO community and ATO staff,

I have just gotten my 189 visa PR but I have not yet settled in Australia (elaboration below).

My questions are: Would I...
... be considered a foreign resident or an Australian resident for tax purposes?
... have to lodge taxes?
... have to pay income taxes?

My situation:
1. Permanent resident with the 189 visa (skilled independent visa type)
2. Singapore citizen.
3. Currently works in Singapore. Pays income taxes to Singapore.
4. Do not hold a job in Australia yet.
5. Do not have a domicile in Australia yet. Meaning have not own a home or rented a house in Australia yet.
6. Not physically present in Australia yet.

According to https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Work-out-your-tax-residency/ I do not satisfy the "Resides Test", "Domicile Test", "183 day test", and "commonwealth superannuation test".

Points 2. and 3. are brought up because I'd think the tax treaty between Australia and Singapore are relevant to my situation.

Thanks for assisting me in understanding my tax situation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 0

Hi @danielLW,

Welcome to our Community!

We provide general information here about tax and super topics and it sounds as though you've done some great research on our website. As there are a number of factors which need to be considered when working out your residency status and we don't know all the details about your personal situation we can't confirm if you're a resident or non-resident of Australia for tax purposes on this forum. 

If you have further questions or wish to speak with an operator about your circumstances, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Thanks, Nate

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 3

You are considered to be a non (foreign) resident.

You don't need to lodge any tax returns or pay taxes yet.

Highlighted

Replies 2

Grateful for the answer. Might you know how I might reach a relevant team/staff at ATO to get an official reply to this enquiry?

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 0

Hi @danielLW,

Welcome to our Community!

We provide general information here about tax and super topics and it sounds as though you've done some great research on our website. As there are a number of factors which need to be considered when working out your residency status and we don't know all the details about your personal situation we can't confirm if you're a resident or non-resident of Australia for tax purposes on this forum. 

If you have further questions or wish to speak with an operator about your circumstances, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Thanks, Nate

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Yes, obtain a Private Ruling from the ATO.