Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Re: 417 tax return or not?

Highlighted

Views 4422

Replies 6

Hi all,

I was in Australia on two 417 visas between Oct 2014 and June 2017. Near the end of my stay, I sorted out all the tax stuff (or so I thought) as I had been told that people living in Australia on a working holiday visa can claim all their taxes back. Now, as it turns out, filling out all the documents and forms (which I did at the ATO in Sydney) has resulted in the message that I just saw 2 days ago which says I actually owe the government money.

So now I'm wondering, as at every job I've had tax had already been deducted and stuff, have people been lying to me (417's do NOT get their taxes back) or have I done something wrong (e.g. wrong answer to the residency status questions)?

I've been looking for ways to contact the ATO, but being in Western Europe the time difference makes it difficult to pick up the phone (also, I don't have my Aussie phone number anymore) and there seems to be no means of contacting them by email. So hence this post..

I don't mind paying the sum the government is asking for me, but first I'd rather be sure I haven't made any mistakes or find a way to correct them if I did.

Thanks to anyone who can provide me with any help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Cedric417,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here, as we can't guarantee it's safe to share personal information on an online forum so we can't access your account to check through your tax return.

If you're working in Australia and having tax withheld you're required to lodge an income tax return. You'll receive a Notice of assessment (NOA) which will outline your tax return and advice you of how your tax return is calculated based on the income you reported and how much tax was withheld. How much an individual receives back from a tax return, depend entirely on their individual personal circumstances, and no two people's circumstances are the same.

There are different tax rates for different people and their circumstances. A non-resident on a working holiday visa is taxed higher than a resident of Australia. You can find the tax rates for non-residents here.

If you fell you're tax return is incorrect you can lodge an amendment. You can find information on how to lodge an amendment request here.

You can phone or Skype us from overseas on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday (AEDT), let the operator know you're calling form overseas to request a call back.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 3

Sorry, but you pay taxes the same as everybody else.

You were living here enjoying all of the ammenties that all other tax payers enjoy and therefore you also have to pay tax.

Highlighted

Replies 2

Of course, man, no problem. Like I said, I have absolutely no problem with paying taxes. You are 100% right.

I'm just wondering why it is communicated to people on a working holiday visa that they get tax back at the end of their stay.. That is what travel agents told me, fellow backpackers, people working in hostels, and so on. If that's not true, it shouldn't been communicated in order to avoid surprises..

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Same as everything else, every thinks that they are experts in things that they are not trained to do or love to pass on un-researched gossip.

I definately wouldn't take advice regarding travel from my tax accountant, I would listen and then ask more questions from more qualified people.

Also, have a read of this .

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Cedric417,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here, as we can't guarantee it's safe to share personal information on an online forum so we can't access your account to check through your tax return.

If you're working in Australia and having tax withheld you're required to lodge an income tax return. You'll receive a Notice of assessment (NOA) which will outline your tax return and advice you of how your tax return is calculated based on the income you reported and how much tax was withheld. How much an individual receives back from a tax return, depend entirely on their individual personal circumstances, and no two people's circumstances are the same.

There are different tax rates for different people and their circumstances. A non-resident on a working holiday visa is taxed higher than a resident of Australia. You can find the tax rates for non-residents here.

If you fell you're tax return is incorrect you can lodge an amendment. You can find information on how to lodge an amendment request here.

You can phone or Skype us from overseas on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday (AEDT), let the operator know you're calling form overseas to request a call back.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Before completing your tax return, you should review the information regarding working holiday makers on this website: https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/international-tax-for-individuals/coming-to-australia/working-hol...

Once you've checked that out, you can review your tax returns susbmitted online (assuming you can still access your myGov account and are linked with the ATO) and amend your tax return if you have made any errors. If you need assistance from the ATO you can call the overseas number which are available on: https://www.ato.gov.au/about-ato/about-us/contact-us/phone-us/

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Cedric417

From 1 January 2017, the first dollar of income earned by backpackers in Australia is taxed at the working holiday maker tax rate of 15% up to $37,000 in an income year. This is regardless of residency status.

You mentioned that you was in Australia, between Oct 2014 and June 2017, So your residency status may have changed during that time, this depends on a number of circumstances - https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Resident-for-tax-if-WHM-/. As we can not give personal information via the community page we can't see what you completed in your tax return to determine how the debt has occured so it is often better to speak with someone.

If you would like to speak with an ATO officer from overseas we do have a contact number, +61 2 6216 1111 - 8am–5pm, Monday–Friday (AEDT) except national public holidays, When you call you are able to request a call-back.

Regards, Tracey

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time